Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Connie Martin Connie Martin is offline

Default Updating fields

I have a 227-page instructional manual prepared with several page reference
fields in it. Some of those page reference fields are in call-outs. When I
select the entire file, all 227 pages, and press F9 it does not update any
page reference fields within a call-out. How do I do that? Connie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Connie Martin wrote:
I have a 227-page instructional manual prepared with several page
reference fields in it. Some of those page reference fields are in
call-outs. When I select the entire file, all 227 pages, and press
F9 it does not update any page reference fields within a call-out.
How do I do that? Connie

First, go to Tools Options Print and make sure "Update fields" is
checked.

Then to update all fields (including those in callouts, headers and footers,
etc.) select File Print Preview and then click the Close button in the
toolbar to return to Print Layout view.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Connie Martin Connie Martin is offline

Jay, this didn't work. The page reference field did not update. When I
clicked on the page reference aftering trying what you said below and pressed
F9 it updated, but I don't want to do that for every page reference in
callouts! Any suggestion? Connie

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Connie Martin wrote:
I have a 227-page instructional manual prepared with several page
reference fields in it. Some of those page reference fields are in
call-outs. When I select the entire file, all 227 pages, and press
F9 it does not update any page reference fields within a call-out.
How do I do that? Connie

First, go to Tools Options Print and make sure "Update fields" is
checked.

Then to update all fields (including those in callouts, headers and footers,
etc.) select File Print Preview and then click the Close button in the
toolbar to return to Print Layout view.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

It's supposed to work... but you're right, it doesn't work here, either.
Rats.

Sometimes you just have to beat Word over the head to make it cooperate.
This macro does work, at least here. Read
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm for instructions to install it if
you need them.

Sub UpdateAll()
Dim rngStory As Word.Range
'Iterate through all story types in the current document

For Each rngStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
'Iterate through all linked stories
Do
rngStory.Fields.Update

'Get next linked story (if any)
Set rngStory = rngStory.NextStoryRange

Loop Until rngStory Is Nothing
Next
End Sub

This is based on the macro in step 2 of
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...ceAnywhere.htm. If your
references are likely to be in headers or footers instead of the main body
of the text, you may need to adapt the macro from step 3.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Connie Martin wrote:
I have a 227-page instructional manual prepared with several page
reference fields in it. Some of those page reference fields are in
call-outs. When I select the entire file, all 227 pages, and press
F9 it does not update any page reference fields within a call-out.
How do I do that? Connie

First, go to Tools Options Print and make sure "Update fields" is
checked.

Then to update all fields (including those in callouts, headers and
footers, etc.) select File Print Preview and then click the Close
button in the toolbar to return to Print Layout view.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.