Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Toobi-Won Kenobi Toobi-Won Kenobi is offline

Default PNG crashes Word

I have a document which uses a PNG graphic for a frontispiece logo. When I
try to print the document, Word crashes and the document does not print.
I have converted the PNG to both JPG and GIF but the quality is not the same
but the document prints.
The page with the PNG logo is around 1MB in size, could this be the problem?

TIA

TWK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Does the PNG print OK from another program (i.e., Photoshop)?

Did you use Insert Picture or paste the PNG into the doc?

Have you tried linking to the PNG?

What version of Word are you using?

Is your printer driver up-to-date?

Is it a PNG-8 or PNG-24?

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Toobi-Won Kenobi" Toobi-won wrote in message
I have a document which uses a PNG graphic for a frontispiece logo. When I
try to print the document, Word crashes and the document does not print.
I have converted the PNG to both JPG and GIF but the quality is not the
same but the document prints.
The page with the PNG logo is around 1MB in size, could this be the
problem?

TIA

TWK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Toobi-Won Kenobi Toobi-Won Kenobi is offline

Hi CT,

I created the PNG in PS, I needed the scalability and transparency.It's
PNG-8 and prints from Photoshop.
I went via InsertPictureFrom file.
Word version is either 2000/XP (apologies)
Colour laser (Konica Minolta) had latest firmware/driver at Easter.
Interestingly, the document will print to a HP Laserjet 2100 mono
Both printers are networked. The KM on its own IP address and the mono
shared from another PC.
I haven't tried linking.
with regards to it being a size issue, the document consists of 10 pages
comprising the logo page (PNG) 1 page of text and 8 pages of 2 x 1 thumbnail
JPGs. The total document size is 52MB. All pages print OK on the KM, except
for the first page.

Regards

TWK

"CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Sorry, but you've confused me a bit... In your first post you wrote:

When I try to print the document,
Word crashes and the document does not print.

Now you say:

Interestingly, the document will print to a HP Laserjet 2100 mono

And
All pages print OK on the KM, except for the first page.

All I can offer is that Word really doesn't "send" anything differently to
one printer than it does to another. There must be something about the KM
*or* the connectivity to it that is causing the communications breakdown.
I'd still check first for further updates for the printer.

File size shouldn't be an issue from Word's standpoint, but there may be a
problem on the connectivity end as far as capacity.

Have you tried printing only page 1 to the KM? Is there anything else about
the page - section breaks, etc. - that the printer may not be happy with?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 7/16/07 12:47 PM, in article ,

wrote in message
I have a document which uses a PNG graphic for a frontispiece logo. When I
try to print the document, Word crashes and the document does not print.
I have converted the PNG to both JPG and GIF but the quality is not the
same but the document prints.
The page with the PNG logo is around 1MB in size, could this be the
problem?

TIA

TWK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Toobi-Won Kenobi Toobi-Won Kenobi is offline

CT,

Sorry about the confusion, what I meant was the doc will not print to the
colour laser (128MB RAM, normally V fast even on V large PSD files), Word
closes when I hit print and select the colour printer. The fact it will
print (slowly) to a mono laser (32MB RAM) I put down to the driver only
rasterizing/sending greyscale info as opposed to colour.
There is a section break on the second page which only consists of a
paragraph of intro. I will remove this tomorrow and see if it works. (You
will be the second to know)
Either way I have to run 32 copies off of this doc by Thursday, so I could
end up printing the first page off in Photoshop.
Again, many thanks.

TWK
.. .

wrote in message
I have a document which uses a PNG graphic for a frontispiece logo.
When I
try to print the document, Word crashes and the document does not
print.
I have converted the PNG to both JPG and GIF but the quality is not the
same but the document prints.
The page with the PNG logo is around 1MB in size, could this be the
problem?

TIA

TWK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Have you tried checking that you have the latest printer driver? Try
deleting and reinstalling the printer.

In Advanced Options, Under Web Options, make sure that use PNG format is
checked.

Terry

"Toobi-Won Kenobi" Toobi-won wrote in message
CT,

Sorry about the confusion, what I meant was the doc will not print to the
colour laser (128MB RAM, normally V fast even on V large PSD files), Word
closes when I hit print and select the colour printer. The fact it will
print (slowly) to a mono laser (32MB RAM) I put down to the driver only
rasterizing/sending greyscale info as opposed to colour.
There is a section break on the second page which only consists of a
paragraph of intro. I will remove this tomorrow and see if it works. (You
will be the second to know)
Either way I have to run 32 copies off of this doc by Thursday, so I could
end up printing the first page off in Photoshop.
Again, many thanks.

TWK
.. .

wrote in message
I have a document which uses a PNG graphic for a frontispiece logo.
When I
try to print the document, Word crashes and the document does not
print.
I have converted the PNG to both JPG and GIF but the quality is not
the
same but the document prints.
The page with the PNG logo is around 1MB in size, could this be the
problem?

TIA

TWK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Toobi-Won Kenobi Toobi-Won Kenobi is offline

Hello Terry,

The driver/firmware was updated at Easter but will check to see if a later
version is available.
The same image prints OK from Photoshop though.
"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Have you tried checking that you have the latest printer driver? Try
deleting and reinstalling the printer.

In Advanced Options, Under Web Options, make sure that use PNG format is
checked.

Hmmm, never thought of that, will check tomorrow.

Many thanks

TWK

"Toobi-Won Kenobi" Toobi-won wrote in message
CT,

Sorry about the confusion, what I meant was the doc will not print to the
colour laser (128MB RAM, normally V fast even on V large PSD files), Word
closes when I hit print and select the colour printer. The fact it will
print (slowly) to a mono laser (32MB RAM) I put down to the driver only
rasterizing/sending greyscale info as opposed to colour.
There is a section break on the second page which only consists of a
paragraph of intro. I will remove this tomorrow and see if it works. (You
will be the second to know)
Either way I have to run 32 copies off of this doc by Thursday, so I
could end up printing the first page off in Photoshop.
Again, many thanks.

TWK
.. .

wrote in message
I have a document which uses a PNG graphic for a frontispiece logo.
When I
try to print the document, Word crashes and the document does not
print.
I have converted the PNG to both JPG and GIF but the quality is not
the
same but the document prints.
The page with the PNG logo is around 1MB in size, could this be the
problem?

TIA

TWK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Toobi-Won Kenobi Toobi-Won Kenobi is offline

Update
No later printer drivers available.
Ticking PNG Format had no effect.
Removing page break had no effect (just screwed up the layout somewhat.)

Transferred the doc to a colleague's laptop who has Word 2K3 and the file
printed OK.
Just one of life's little mysteries?

Thanks to all.

TWK

wrote in message
CT,

Sorry about the confusion, what I meant was the doc will not print to
the colour laser (128MB RAM, normally V fast even on V large PSD files),
Word closes when I hit print and select the colour printer. The fact it
will print (slowly) to a mono laser (32MB RAM) I put down to the driver
only rasterizing/sending greyscale info as opposed to colour.
There is a section break on the second page which only consists of a
paragraph of intro. I will remove this tomorrow and see if it works.
(You will be the second to know)
Either way I have to run 32 copies off of this doc by Thursday, so I
could end up printing the first page off in Photoshop.
Again, many thanks.

TWK
.. .

wrote in message
I have a document which uses a PNG graphic for a frontispiece logo.
When I
try to print the document, Word crashes and the document does not
print.
I have converted the PNG to both JPG and GIF but the quality is not
the
same but the document prints.
The page with the PNG logo is around 1MB in size, could this be the
problem?

TIA

TWK

Word Crashes When Printing Aaron Sanders Microsoft Word Help 4 August 28th 06 03:40 PM
Word crashes when printing Tony Microsoft Word Help 0 July 28th 06 08:08 PM
Word Crashes Airplane New Users 0 April 26th 06 12:55 AM
Word crashes markmovies Microsoft Word Help 1 December 17th 05 07:39 AM
word 97 crashes faceman Microsoft Word Help 2 July 30th 05 11:06 PM