Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BarbaraF

Default Field not updating in footer

I have a document with a complicated set of headers and footers, intended to
give a blank footer on the first page, then the document completed date on
the left of the footer and the page number on the right if odd numbered, and
vice versa if even numbered. The problem is that the date completed does
not update consistently after I change it in Document Properties. It updates
OK when it is on the right (even page) but not on the left (odd page). I have
tried doing the updating by using the macro suggested at
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm but the problem persists.

In more detail: First section has blank first footer, and a main footer that
does the page number/completion date, using IF and MOD{PAGE} as suggested by
Jay Freedman (answer posted 6/21/2005). Second section has a first footer
which happens to be the same as the main footer of the first section
(although it does not have €śsame as previous€ť ticked), and main footer of
second section is also the same and does have €śsame as previous€ť ticked.
Both first and main footers of all the other sections have €śsame as previous€ť
ticked. Incidentally, I also have first and main headers defined for each
section.

Sorry this sounds so complicated, any help please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

A print preview should update your headers and footers and their fields.

For a macro solution, it is possible that you'll have to cycle through the
sections as well as the storyranges. Not sure.

You might try the following macro instead:
Private Sub FieldsUpdateAllStory()
' All Story Field Updater
' Written by Charles Kyle Kenyon 9 December 2004
' repaired with help from Jezebel 28 November 2005
' Note, if used in protected form this will reset
' formfields to their defaults
Dim oStory As Range
On Error Resume Next
For Each oStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
Do
oStory.Fields.Update
Set oStory = oStory.NextStoryRange
Loop Until oStory Is Nothing
Next
End Sub

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"BarbaraF" wrote in message
[...]

(although it does not have "same as previous" ticked), and main footer of
second section is also the same and does have "same as previous" ticked.
Both first and main footers of all the other sections have "same as
previous"
ticked. Incidentally, I also have first and main headers defined for each
section.

Sorry this sounds so complicated, any help please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BarbaraF

Thank you for those suggestions, but unfortunately they do not solve the
problem. I have found that the behaviour is very inconsistent. If I change
the document property, then use print preview it will probably update about
half of the footers (but not always the same ones), and if I then use print
preview again, some more will update, and usually after about 3 or 4 goes of
print preview it has managed to do them all. I find this totally baffling.
I have had a colleague look at it too, and he gets a similar result (he has
Word 2002, and I have Word 2000). I have several documents created from the
same template, and they all suffer the same.

I did wonder if it was actually something to do with UK/US date formats, as
there is some conflict when setting the property (I have UK settings), but
this does not happen on the Word2002 version so it seems unlikely this is the
root of the problem in the footers.

My footer looks like this:

{IF { =MOD({PAGE},2)} =0 "{PAGE}" "{DOCPROPERTY "Date completed" \@
"d-MMM-yy"}"} {SUBJECT} {IF{ =MOD({PAGE},2} =0 "{DOCPROPERTY "Date
completed" \@ "d-MMM-yy"}" "{PAGE}"}

I also use the same document property once in the text, which does not give
any problem (although I note it does not update on print preview - I don't
know whether it should or not?)

"BarbaraF" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BarbaraF

I do have the update fields box checked under Options Print (I don't have
any ASK or FillIn Fields). I did try your macro - it didn't seem to give
different outcome from Print Preview or the macro by G Mayor - that is to say
that the field in the footers updated on some pages but not all, and which
pages varied from one attempt to another.

Barbara

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

The DocProperty field will not update on print preview unless you have the
box checked to update fields on printing. If you use ASK or FillIn fields,
you do _not_ want to do this. Did you try my macro?