Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RichardOnRails RichardOnRails is offline

Default Inserted TOC with 6 levels; Only Headings 1-3 show up

Hi,

I'm running Microsoft Office 2003/SP3 over WinXP-Pro/SP3.

I just started a new Word document and added a Table of Contents with
6 levels selected. However, when I tried to apply one of the Heading
items, I only found 1-3 among my choices. I've used six levels
whenever I've used TOCs over many years without experiencing this
limitation.

I did have a problem recently where I apparently hit Alt-F9
accidentally and got formatting of hyperlinks messed up. An MS Word
MVP directed me to press Alt-F9 to reinstate the hyperlink handling I
expected. Might that have had anything to do with the levels of
Headings?

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance,
Richard
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RichardOnRails RichardOnRails is offline

On Jan 10, 1:44*pm, RichardOnRails
wrote:
Hi,

I'm running Microsoft Office 2003/SP3 over WinXP-Pro/SP3.

I just started a new Word document and added a Table of Contents with
6 levels selected. However, *when I tried to apply one of the Heading
items, *I only found 1-3 among my choices. *I've used six levels
whenever I've used TOCs over many years without experiencing this
limitation.

I did have a problem recently where I apparently hit Alt-F9
accidentally and got formatting of hyperlinks messed up. *An MS Word
MVP directed me to press Alt-F9 to reinstate the hyperlink handling I
expected. *Might that have had anything to do with the levels of
Headings?

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance,
Richard

I searched the web and found a response by Herb Tyson [MVP] at
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3771420.php

There, he recommended simply typing in the missing names in the
"style" box and I suddenly had my level 4-6 headings back. In fact,
when I dropped the list of styles, I had all 1-6.

But then I noticed something I had never paid attention to befo the
Outline Level box, which, when I opened the drop-down list, presented
all 9 levels. It now seems to me that I should always use the Outline
Level for applying styles.

Best wishes,
Richard