Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
puffguillemot puffguillemot is offline

Default Trying to open Font Dialog causes Word to freeze

After several months of normal operation, my Word 2000 freezes when trying to
open the font dialog from the Format menu. However, sometimes the dialog
finally shows up, even if several minutes after the request. Futher requests
then work fine, until Word is restarted.
The same problem affects also all the other programs in the Office suite, as
well as OpenOffice applications. Instead, WordPad and NotePad work correctly.
Operating system is Vista Professional SP1.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This could indicate a problem with the printer driver. Have you tried
updating it? Simply reinstalling the current driver might also help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"puffguillemot" wrote in message
After several months of normal operation, my Word 2000 freezes when trying
open the font dialog from the Format menu. However, sometimes the dialog
finally shows up, even if several minutes after the request. Futher
requests
then work fine, until Word is restarted.
The same problem affects also all the other programs in the Office suite,
as
well as OpenOffice applications. Instead, WordPad and NotePad work
correctly.
Operating system is Vista Professional SP1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
puffguillemot puffguillemot is offline

Thank you very much!
In our LAN printers are connected to a Linux server, which exports them via
CUPS and SAMBA. I have discovered that the problem arises only when the
server is off. It seems that Word is waiting some kind of response from the
server. Changing the driver does not solve the problem, while deleting the
printers from Control Panel does.
Is there any solution to make Word work also when the server is switched off?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

This could indicate a problem with the printer driver. Have you tried
updating it? Simply reinstalling the current driver might also help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"puffguillemot" wrote in message
After several months of normal operation, my Word 2000 freezes when trying
open the font dialog from the Format menu. However, sometimes the dialog
finally shows up, even if several minutes after the request. Futher
requests
then work fine, until Word is restarted.
The same problem affects also all the other programs in the Office suite,
as
well as OpenOffice applications. Instead, WordPad and NotePad work
correctly.
Operating system is Vista Professional SP1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
puffguillemot puffguillemot is offline

I have installed the HP Universal Printer Driver and now the problem seems
solved.
Thank you for your appropriate and prompt advice.