Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John[_4_] John[_4_] is offline

Default How make hotkey to toggle spell check?

Is it possible to create a keyboard shortcut in Word 2003 which will
toggle the spelling check on and off?

At present, I have to go to Tools Options Spelling & Grammar Check
Spelling As You Type. This can get quite tiresome if I need to switch
spelling on and off quite frequently.

---

Similarly, is it possible to assign a keyboard shortcut to
select/deselect another of the option on that Spelling & Grammar window?
For example, Check Grammar As You Type, or Writing Style.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Sure. Record a macro that "watches" you turning spelling off. You'll get
something like this:

Sub ToggleSpelling()
'
' ToggleSpelling Macro
'
'
Options.CheckSpellingAsYouType = False
End Sub

Your current spelling setting is given by "Options.CheckSpellingAsYouType".
If it's on, the value is true. If it's off, the value is false. You turn
this into a toggle by reversing the current setting, whatever it might be.
So, we can turn this into a toggle in the following way:

Options.CheckSpellingAsYouType = Not (Options.CheckSpellingAsYouType)

You can assign the toggle to a key or put it onto a toolbar or menu for easy
access.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible