Neil Hanham via OfficeKB.com

Default Word 2000 Hyperlink Field Codes

Hi,

I'm doing a case study for some course work. It involves integrating Word into a VB.Net app which I have achieved.

There is one slight problem because the documents that the system is supposed to use uses hyperlinks to link the various word files together.

I've basically got word to open up with a file that is selected by the user via the VB.Net program. When you click on the hyperlinks within the documents, Word opens the link in a new word window, and jumps out of the application.

Researching this, I've found that in Word 2003, you can tell the document to open up the selected file within the 'parent' window my changing the Hyperlinks Field Codes. The Microsoft article suggested using:

{Hyperlink "file" \t"_self[or _parent]"}

Is this possible within Word 2000? If not, is there an alternative?

Neil.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Neil,

Please note that you've posted this in an end-user group. You'd have a better
chance of getting a quick response in an office.developer or word.vba
newsgroup.

I'm doing a case study for some course work. It involves integrating Word

into a VB.Net app which I have achieved.

There is one slight problem because the documents that the system is

supposed to use uses hyperlinks to link the various word files together.

I've basically got word to open up with a file that is selected by the user

via the VB.Net program. When you click on the hyperlinks within the
documents, Word opens the link in a new word window, and jumps out of the
application.

Researching this, I've found that in Word 2003, you can tell the document

to open up the selected file within the 'parent' window my changing the
Hyperlinks Field Codes. The Microsoft article suggested using:

{Hyperlink "file" \t"_self[or _parent]"}

Is this possible within Word 2000? If not, is there an alternative?

Looking at the Word 200 Help files, I see the \t switch is supported. It
doesn't specifically state what values are supported, by I would imagine this
one would be. All you can do is test...

Alternatives: If you could use VBA code in a Word project, then a MacroButton
field would be a possibility. Other than that, a toolbar instead of links in
the document to open other documents would be the only alternative I can
think of.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org