nevo613

Default How do I open a document written in Word 2.0 with Word 2003

How do I open a document written in Word 2.0 with Word 2003 - all I get is
gibberish...

Please respond to :

Thanks!!
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?bmV2bzYxMw==?=,

How do I open a document written in Word 2.0 with Word 2003 - all I get is
gibberish...

You should be able to, provided 1) the document is damaged and 2) you have
the Word 2.0 converter installed.

This converter isn't included in the Office 2003 installation, but I think
you can get it from MS Support. As I understand it, you can call and
reference the KB article 822346, saying you need a converter that's not
supplied with Office 2003 and is also not in the Office 2003 supplemental
converter pack. Then tell them which conversion you need to perform. They
should give you a "hotfix", a URL to download the converter pack, and a
password for the download.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

nevo613

Thanks for the info - but I have not been able to get anywhere requesting the
hot fix you mentioned. I am not in the States and although there is a local
Microsoft branch here - they have no idea what I'm talking about. Is there
anyplace you know of online that I can download this file - or perhaps if you
have access to it you can send me a copy. Thanks for your help!

Marty

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?bmV2bzYxMw==?=,

How do I open a document written in Word 2.0 with Word 2003 - all I get is
gibberish...

You should be able to, provided 1) the document is damaged and 2) you have
the Word 2.0 converter installed.

This converter isn't included in the Office 2003 installation, but I think
you can get it from MS Support. As I understand it, you can call and
reference the KB article 822346, saying you need a converter that's not
supplied with Office 2003 and is also not in the Office 2003 supplemental
converter pack. Then tell them which conversion you need to perform. They
should give you a "hotfix", a URL to download the converter pack, and a
password for the download.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the info - but I have not been able to get anywhere requesting the
hot fix you mentioned. I am not in the States and although there is a local
Microsoft branch here - they have no idea what I'm talking about. Is there
anyplace you know of online that I can download this file - or perhaps if you
have access to it you can send me a copy.

The file name is WNWRD232.cnv, you might check whether it's on your system. If
not you can send me an email (so that I'll have your address). You need to use
my name, as one word, followed by at mvps dot org. (The email address I use in
the NGs goes to a "blackhole".) Be sure to use a meaningful subject line, so
that I don't delete it with the junk :-)

Once you have the cnv file, it needs to go into the folder: TextConv under
Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared. (It may already be there.) In order
to register it, activate "Confirm conversions on open" in Tools/Options/General,
then try to open a non-document file (such as a graphic). Word will list all the
converters it finds in TextConv, select the Word 2.0 entry; the graphics file
won't open, but now you should see the converter listed in the Open and Save As
dialog boxes.

I'd be very interested in the details of how you weren't able to get the convert
from support, if you wouldn't mind (by email). I can forward them to PSS in
Redmond in the hopes that they can get this sorted out, so that the next person
doesn't run into the same problems!

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org