Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gwelsh Gwelsh is offline

Default Style added to "next page"

I have a document that I am using styles in. When I want to force a new page
and apply a style to the first line in the new page, the style is also
applied to the "next page" code. This would not be a problem, except the
style I am using puts a shaded box around the text. So that leaves me with a
shaded box at the end of the previous page. I can't find any where to fix
this. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the style code:

Font: Bold, Space After: 12 pt, No widow/orphan control, Don't keep with
next, Don't keep lines together, Level 2, Pattern: Clear (Custom
Color(RGB(229,223,236))), Style: Quick Style, Based on: Heading Base,
Following style: Body Text
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Do NOT use a page break (Ctrl+Enter) to force a new page, precisely because
of this kind of problem. Instead, modify the style; go into its Paragraph
properties dialog, click the Line and Page Breaks tab, and check the box for
"Page break before".

To use it, first delete the manual page break if there is already one there.
Simply apply the style to the paragraph that should become the first one on
the new page.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Gwelsh wrote:
I have a document that I am using styles in. When I want to force a
new page and apply a style to the first line in the new page, the
style is also applied to the "next page" code. This would not be a
problem, except the style I am using puts a shaded box around the
text. So that leaves me with a shaded box at the end of the previous
page. I can't find any where to fix this. Any help would be
appreciated.

Here is the style code:

Font: Bold, Space After: 12 pt, No widow/orphan control, Don't keep
with next, Don't keep lines together, Level 2, Pattern: Clear (Custom
Color(RGB(229,223,236))), Style: Quick Style, Based on: Heading Base,
Following style: Body Text

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It seems as if you are using a manual page break to force the new page?
Instead, change the style to include "Page break before" formatting.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Gwelsh" wrote in message
I have a document that I am using styles in. When I want to force a new
page
and apply a style to the first line in the new page, the style is also
applied to the "next page" code. This would not be a problem, except the
style I am using puts a shaded box around the text. So that leaves me
with a
shaded box at the end of the previous page. I can't find any where to fix
this. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the style code:

Font: Bold, Space After: 12 pt, No widow/orphan control, Don't keep with
next, Don't keep lines together, Level 2, Pattern: Clear (Custom
Color(RGB(229,223,236))), Style: Quick Style, Based on: Heading Base,
Following style: Body Text

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gwelsh Gwelsh is offline

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately this does not work for the style
I am using. I don't always want a page break before the heading. It only
works out that in this instance I need to force the page. Any suggestions
for this case?

Gwelsh wrote:
I have a document that I am using styles in. When I want to force a
new page and apply a style to the first line in the new page, the
style is also applied to the "next page" code. This would not be a
problem, except the style I am using puts a shaded box around the
text. So that leaves me with a shaded box at the end of the previous
page. I can't find any where to fix this. Any help would be
appreciated.

Here is the style code:

Font: Bold, Space After: 12 pt, No widow/orphan control, Don't keep
with next, Don't keep lines together, Level 2, Pattern: Clear (Custom
Color(RGB(229,223,236))), Style: Quick Style, Based on: Heading Base,
Following style: Body Text

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Then don't add it to the style, but just apply it to that one paragraph --
right-click in the paragraph, choose Paragraph from the popup menu, and go
to the Line and Page Breaks tab of that dialog.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Do NOT use a page break (Ctrl+Enter) to force a new page, precisely
because of this kind of problem. Instead, modify the style; go into
its Paragraph properties dialog, click the Line and Page Breaks tab,
and check the box for "Page break before".

To use it, first delete the manual page break if there is already
one there. Simply apply the style to the paragraph that should
become the first one on the new page.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Gwelsh wrote:
I have a document that I am using styles in. When I want to force a
new page and apply a style to the first line in the new page, the
style is also applied to the "next page" code. This would not be a
problem, except the style I am using puts a shaded box around the
text. So that leaves me with a shaded box at the end of the
be appreciated.

Here is the style code:

Font: Bold, Space After: 12 pt, No widow/orphan control, Don't keep
with next, Don't keep lines together, Level 2, Pattern: Clear
(Custom Color(RGB(229,223,236))), Style: Quick Style, Based on:
Heading Base, Following style: Body Text

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Or create a separate style with the "Page break before" setting.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Gwelsh wrote:
I have a document that I am using styles in. When I want to force a
new page and apply a style to the first line in the new page, the
style is also applied to the "next page" code. This would not be a
problem, except the style I am using puts a shaded box around the
text. So that leaves me with a shaded box at the end of the
be appreciated.

Here is the style code:

Font: Bold, Space After: 12 pt, No widow/orphan control, Don't keep
with next, Don't keep lines together, Level 2, Pattern: Clear
(Custom Color(RGB(229,223,236))), Style: Quick Style, Based on:
Heading Base, Following style: Body Text

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thank you for the follow-up.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Gwelsh wrote:
I have a document that I am using styles in. When I want to force a
new page and apply a style to the first line in the new page, the
style is also applied to the "next page" code. This would not be a
problem, except the style I am using puts a shaded box around the
text. So that leaves me with a shaded box at the end of the
be appreciated.

Here is the style code:

Font: Bold, Space After: 12 pt, No widow/orphan control, Don't keep
with next, Don't keep lines together, Level 2, Pattern: Clear
(Custom Color(RGB(229,223,236))), Style: Quick Style, Based on:
Heading Base, Following style: Body Text

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thank you for the follow-up.