Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Andrew Andrew is offline

Default text disappears in break accross page

I am creating a report with two columns, one containing text and one
containing images. The problem is that when the text breaks across pages-
lines of text are often lost.

Table margins are .1"
Text is not wrapping in table properties

This is a very long report (over 100 pages) and there is no way to play
around with the table margins so everything fits perfectly (one problem will
be fixed and as a result another will be created).

I think the problem is that the table margins are extending further than the
page margins and the text is getting cut off.

Is there some way to fix this without having to add a new row on each page
or entering a hard return at the end of each page in the middle of a
paragraph so no text gets lost?

It seems like this text breaking across page functioning is very glitch and
just does not work. Is there some update or patch that will fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

From your description, I'm wondering if this is a long single-row table.
Word really won't tolerate that. Ideally, rows don't need to break across
pages, but they certainly shouldn't extend for more than one page--ever.
Break them wherever there is a logical break point (between paragraphs if
that's feasible).

The main problem, however, is probably with the images. Word is undoubtedly
allowing enough space for the image to fully display, which results in some
of the text in the same row (as well as the image) being below the margin.
Setting rows *not* to break across pages would be the solution to this,
provided that you have only one image per row.

"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Andrew Andrew is offline

Yes, this is a long single row table. Why won't Word allow that? I don't
understand. Is there another program that I could use that will. I don' t
want to have to insert a new row for every page. If I need to go back and
insert text into an earlier part of the document, I then have to rearrange
all the text after that point in the document. Is there another way to
accomplish what I am trying to do or is word not capable of this.

Thanks for your help and I appreciate the quick response.

From your description, I'm wondering if this is a long single-row table.

"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I'm not suggesting that you start a new row at the top of every page but a
new row *somewhere* on the page. Surely there are places where you want to
align the text and graphics by starting a new row?

If not, I'm not sure I see much point in using a table at all. I'm trying to
visualize what you're doing, and I can't see how you're keeping the graphics
in place without row boundaries. You might find it just as satisfactory to
use a single text column with a wide right margin and insert the graphics in
the margin (anchored to the corresponding text).

"Andrew" wrote in message
Yes, this is a long single row table. Why won't Word allow that? I don't
understand. Is there another program that I could use that will. I don'

want to have to insert a new row for every page. If I need to go back and
insert text into an earlier part of the document, I then have to rearrange
all the text after that point in the document. Is there another way to
accomplish what I am trying to do or is word not capable of this.

Thanks for your help and I appreciate the quick response.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

From your description, I'm wondering if this is a long single-row table.
Word really won't tolerate that. Ideally, rows don't need to break

across
pages, but they certainly shouldn't extend for more than one page--ever.
Break them wherever there is a logical break point (between paragraphs

if
that's feasible).

The main problem, however, is probably with the images. Word is

undoubtedly
allowing enough space for the image to fully display, which results in

some
of the text in the same row (as well as the image) being below the

margin.
Setting rows *not* to break across pages would be the solution to this,
provided that you have only one image per row.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.