Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
johne johne is offline

Default @ key now types " how do I change this so it types @ as it should?

for some reason while in the middle of filling in a funding proposal, the
keyboard keystroke - shift +' (normally types @) suddenly started typing "
instead. This is unbelieveably frustrating. How do I make the keyboard
keystroke type the correct symbol again i.e @ instead of ".......?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rae Drysdale Rae Drysdale is offline

Change the regional settings (US/UK) - Control Panel | Date, time, language
and Regional Options, and Regional Language Options.
--
Rae Drysdale

"JohnE" wrote:

for some reason while in the middle of filling in a funding proposal, the
keyboard keystroke - shift +' (normally types @) suddenly started typing "
instead. This is unbelieveably frustrating. How do I make the keyboard
keystroke type the correct symbol again i.e @ instead of ".......?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
johne johne is offline

Thanks for the prompt suggestion Ray. I tried that and reset all the options
so that they fit with English UK. Teh keystroke for (@) still types ("). Do
you have any further suggestions please?
"JohnE" wrote:

for some reason while in the middle of filling in a funding proposal, the
keyboard keystroke - shift +' (normally types @) suddenly started typing "
instead. This is unbelieveably frustrating. How do I make the keyboard
keystroke type the correct symbol again i.e @ instead of ".......?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The swapping of @ and " is very characteristic of having the wrong keyboard
layout (US vs. UK) enabled. If you have the Language Bar enabled, what
language is it showing? Have you enabled keyboard shortcuts for switching
keyboard languages (Control Panel | Keyboard | Text Services | Advanced Key
Settings).

"
instead. This is unbelieveably frustrating. How do I make the keyboard
keystroke type the correct symbol again i.e @ instead of ".......?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rae Drysdale Rae Drysdale is offline

Default @ key now types " how do I change this so it types @ as it sho

John, back into the Control Panel, Date, Time, Language, and Regional
Options and then click Regional and Language Options. Click the Languages tab
and then click Details under Text services and input languages. Check that UK
is selected as the keyboard. Hope this sorts it out for you.

--
Rae Drysdale

"JohnE" wrote:

for some reason while in the middle of filling in a funding proposal, the
keyboard keystroke - shift +' (normally types @) suddenly started typing "
instead. This is unbelieveably frustrating. How do I make the keyboard
keystroke type the correct symbol again i.e @ instead of ".......?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
johne johne is offline

Hi Rae and Suzanne,

thank you both again for your suggestions,
to answer: yes UK is selected as the keyboard under text services and input
languages. / also in the language taskbar EN - English United Kingdom is
selected / underadvanced key settings keyboardshortcuts for switching
languages is enabled as LeftAlt + Ctrl + Key 0 .
however trying this key combination to reset the keyboard to English Uk
layout still does not solve the problem.

Still we will find a way to outsmart this machine - we are after all human
beings with wit and cunning! - though in the case of the way these pieces of
kit always find a glitch when one is under deadline pressure to complete
funding bids with partners for vast sums of her majesty's beans to employ
people for the future - amazes me..

Kind regards,

John