Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
silent_tiger silent_tiger is offline

Default mail merge not recognising time format

I've setup a small excel sheet that my mail merge reads from, I have 5 almost
identical versions, which are all purely copies of each other, 4 of them work
perfectly, the 5'th one, I am unable to get it to recognize the time format,
it's only coming up as a decimal, I have re-linked, re-defined, inserted
switches, re-designed and tried to use one of the other databases, no matter
what I do, once I have saved and closed when I reopen the mail merge all I
get is the decimal again. By all reasoning, as this is simply a copy of the
others it should work the same as the other 4, but does not. Please help....
Always Frustrated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

By all reasoning, as this is simply a copy of the
others it should work the same as the other 4, but does not.

Well, I would agree, except here you say that

I have 5

almost

identical versions

and "almost" is enough for a problem to be introduced.

Does your 5th sheet have any purely numeric values in the first 8 rows
of your time column?

If so, see http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm for a possible explanation.

If not, is there a difference (in which case what is it?) or isn't there?

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

silent_tiger wrote:
I've setup a small excel sheet that my mail merge reads from, I have 5 almost
identical versions, which are all purely copies of each other, 4 of them work
perfectly, the 5'th one, I am unable to get it to recognize the time format,
it's only coming up as a decimal, I have re-linked, re-defined, inserted
switches, re-designed and tried to use one of the other databases, no matter
what I do, once I have saved and closed when I reopen the mail merge all I
get is the decimal again. By all reasoning, as this is simply a copy of the
others it should work the same as the other 4, but does not. Please help....
Always Frustrated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
silent_tiger silent_tiger is offline

only differnces are the names of the sheets,as they are for different
departments, so containging differend clients but all time colums set in
"hh:mm:ss AM/PM" format, no numericals. It works on setup, but once I save
and re-open, the format is back to decimal, have re-designed the whole thing
even the database.
It's driving me nuts that it reverts, any ideas on forcing a format as the
switches are not functioning as they should.

Thanks

silent_tiger wrote:
I've setup a small excel sheet that my mail merge reads from, I have 5 almost
identical versions, which are all purely copies of each other, 4 of them work
perfectly, the 5'th one, I am unable to get it to recognize the time format,
it's only coming up as a decimal, I have re-linked, re-defined, inserted
switches, re-designed and tried to use one of the other databases, no matter
what I do, once I have saved and closed when I reopen the mail merge all I
get is the decimal again. By all reasoning, as this is simply a copy of the
others it should work the same as the other 4, but does not. Please help....
Always Frustrated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
silent_tiger silent_tiger is offline

Maybe if someone knows this one, I can force the time through, when I go to
edit Recipient List and then edit the list, everything is perfect, but once I
re-open the mail merge(yes I do save) it defaults back to decimal, even when
checking the recipient list again. Is there any way to get it to use the
format it iniciates when editing the recipient list?

silent_tiger wrote:
I've setup a small excel sheet that my mail merge reads from, I have 5 almost
identical versions, which are all purely copies of each other, 4 of them work
perfectly, the 5'th one, I am unable to get it to recognize the time format,
it's only coming up as a decimal, I have re-linked, re-defined, inserted
switches, re-designed and tried to use one of the other databases, no matter
what I do, once I have saved and closed when I reopen the mail merge all I
get is the decimal again. By all reasoning, as this is simply a copy of the
others it should work the same as the other 4, but does not. Please help....
Always Frustrated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Although you have probably tried this already, try changing the mail
merge document type back to "not a mail merge main document". Then
reconnect to the data source. Then save the mail merge main document.
(That is only likely to solve one of the problems that you are facing,
but probably not both).

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

silent_tiger wrote:
I've setup a small excel sheet that my mail merge reads from, I have 5 almost
identical versions, which are all purely copies of each other, 4 of them work
perfectly, the 5'th one, I am unable to get it to recognize the time format,
it's only coming up as a decimal, I have re-linked, re-defined, inserted
switches, re-designed and tried to use one of the other databases, no matter
what I do, once I have saved and closed when I reopen the mail merge all I
get is the decimal again. By all reasoning, as this is simply a copy of the
others it should work the same as the other 4, but does not. Please help....
Always Frustrated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What switches are you actually using?

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

silent_tiger wrote:
I've setup a small excel sheet that my mail merge reads from, I have 5 almost
identical versions, which are all purely copies of each other, 4 of them work
perfectly, the 5'th one, I am unable to get it to recognize the time format,
it's only coming up as a decimal, I have re-linked, re-defined, inserted
switches, re-designed and tried to use one of the other databases, no matter
what I do, once I have saved and closed when I reopen the mail merge all I
get is the decimal again. By all reasoning, as this is simply a copy of the
others it should work the same as the other 4, but does not. Please help....
Always Frustrated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Would it be possible to email the non-working sheet to me (and
preferably one of the working sheets)? If so, despam
by removing "KillMAPS"

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

silent_tiger wrote: