Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sondra Sondra is offline

Default Mailmerge Switch issues

Word 2003

Merging address from an Access Database.

{MERGEFIELD "FIRST_Name"} {MERGEFIELD "LAST_Name"}

i want to make it FirstCap; however when trying to enter the Switch of
\*FirstCap next to the command, it won't let me enter anything or use the
spacebar.

I have even attempted starting all over and re-entering the fields into the
letter.

Is there a way to "hard code" the MERGE FIELD into my letter or must I
always us the Mailmerge Wizard???

or is there any suggestions as to why it won't let me add the switches??

Any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You certainly do not have to use the wizard.

Best thing for you to do is display the Mail Merge toolbar. To do that,
from the View menu, select Toolbars and the check the Mail Merge item. That
toolbar contains buttons that will allow you to perform each individual step
of the mail merge process from specifying the type of merge, selecting the
data source, inserting the merge fields and executing the merge to the
various destinations.

When you inserted the merge fields that you want to use, press Alt + F9 to
display the field codes and then add the switches as shown below

{MERGEFIELD "FIRST_Name" \* FirstCap } {MERGEFIELD "LAST_Name" \* FirstCap }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Sondra" wrote in message
news
Word 2003

Merging address from an Access Database.

{MERGEFIELD "FIRST_Name"} {MERGEFIELD "LAST_Name"}

i want to make it FirstCap; however when trying to enter the Switch of
\*FirstCap next to the command, it won't let me enter anything or use the
spacebar.

I have even attempted starting all over and re-entering the fields into
the
letter.

Is there a way to "hard code" the MERGE FIELD into my letter or must I
always us the Mailmerge Wizard???

or is there any suggestions as to why it won't let me add the switches??

Any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you cannot typedirectly in the field when displayed in the document as
shown in Doug's reply, it is usually an indication that Word is in Overtype
mode rather than the default Insert mode.

"Sondra" wrote in message
news
Word 2003

Merging address from an Access Database.

{MERGEFIELD "FIRST_Name"} {MERGEFIELD "LAST_Name"}

i want to make it FirstCap; however when trying to enter the Switch
of \*FirstCap next to the command, it won't let me enter anything or
use the spacebar.

I have even attempted starting all over and re-entering the fields
into the
letter.

Is there a way to "hard code" the MERGE FIELD into my letter or must
I always us the Mailmerge Wizard???

or is there any suggestions as to why it won't let me add the
switches?? Any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sondra Sondra is offline

Well I was able to get the information into the letter it looks like this:

{MERGEFIELD "First_Name"\*FirstCap} etc.

But when the merge occurs nothing changes. The data is all in uppercaps in
Access and stays in Uppercap when the mailmerge is completed.

Any ideas???

"Sondra" wrote in message
news
Word 2003

Merging address from an Access Database.

{MERGEFIELD "FIRST_Name"} {MERGEFIELD "LAST_Name"}

i want to make it FirstCap; however when trying to enter the Switch of
\*FirstCap next to the command, it won't let me enter anything or use the
spacebar.

I have even attempted starting all over and re-entering the fields into
the
letter.

Is there a way to "hard code" the MERGE FIELD into my letter or must I
always us the Mailmerge Wizard???

or is there any suggestions as to why it won't let me add the switches??

Any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You will need to use a Query in Access to convert the data to lower case so
that the \*FirstCaps switch can do its thing (which it only does on the
first character of the word; it has no effect on the remaining characters).

--

"Sondra" wrote in message
news
Word 2003

Merging address from an Access Database.

{MERGEFIELD "FIRST_Name"} {MERGEFIELD "LAST_Name"}

i want to make it FirstCap; however when trying to enter the Switch of
\*FirstCap next to the command, it won't let me enter anything or use
the
spacebar.

I have even attempted starting all over and re-entering the fields into
the
letter.

Is there a way to "hard code" the MERGE FIELD into my letter or must I
always us the Mailmerge Wizard???

or is there any suggestions as to why it won't let me add the
switches??

Any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

A nested field such as

{ QUOTE { MERGEFIELD "First_Name" \*Lower } \*Firstcap }

may give you what you need. All the {} need to be the special field code
braces that you can enter using ctrl-F9

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.ukT

"Sondra" wrote in message
news
Word 2003

Merging address from an Access Database.

{MERGEFIELD "FIRST_Name"} {MERGEFIELD "LAST_Name"}

i want to make it FirstCap; however when trying to enter the Switch of
\*FirstCap next to the command, it won't let me enter anything or use the
spacebar.

I have even attempted starting all over and re-entering the fields into
the
letter.

Is there a way to "hard code" the MERGE FIELD into my letter or must I
always us the Mailmerge Wizard???

or is there any suggestions as to why it won't let me add the switches??

Any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You should not even need to nest the fields as the switches are treated
sequentially
{ MERGEFIELD "First_Name" \*Lower \*Firstcap }
should work also.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

You certainly do not have to use the wizard.

Best thing for you to do is display the Mail Merge toolbar. To do
that, from the View menu, select Toolbars and the check the Mail
Merge item. That toolbar contains buttons that will allow you to
perform each individual step of the mail merge process from
specifying the type of merge, selecting the data source, inserting
the merge fields and executing the merge to the various
destinations. When you inserted the merge fields that you want to use,
press Alt
+ F9 to display the field codes and then add the switches as shown
below {MERGEFIELD "FIRST_Name" \* FirstCap } {MERGEFIELD "LAST_Name" \*
FirstCap } --
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news Word 2003