Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ben Ben is offline

Default Makeing text disappear in a form when I begin typing

I have a protected form that I want to set up so the text will disappear and
leave a cursor when someone clicks on it to enter text. Is this possible? If
so how do I do it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use default text in the form field. When the field is selected anything
typed will replace the text. If you want to clear that default text (and
frankly I wouldn't bother) you would need a macro run on entry to each field
containing the line

ActiveDocument.FormFields("Text1").Result = ""

where Text1 is the bookmark name of the field.

If you need text in the field to inform the user what to enter use the field
help which puts help text in the status bar and set an autonew macro in the
form template to draw attention to it.

Sub AutoNew()
Application.DisplayStatusBar = True
MsgBox "Refer to status line at bottom of screen for field entry details" _
, vbInformation, "Help"
End Sub

You may then find http://www.gmayor.com/formfieldmacros.htm useful.