Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
soundmill soundmill is offline

Default How can I lock a word document before emailing it?

I want to lock my word document before sending it via emeil so as the
receiver cannot edit it. THank You
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Depends what you mean by "cannot". You can discourage the recipient by
password-protecting the document for edits, or by converting the document to
PDF. But you can't prevent them: if they can see it on screen, they can turn
it into an editable document. (Apart from anything else, they can always
create a new document that looks exactly the same.)

For most purposes, PDF is the best option.

"soundmill" wrote in message
I want to lock my word document before sending it via emeil so as the
receiver cannot edit it. THank You

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnThePresenter JohnThePresenter is offline

Default Free PDF Writers

I use the free Cute PDF fWriter from www.cutepdf.com and it's adequate for
this sort of thing.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chuck Davis Chuck Davis is offline

"soundmill" wrote in message
I want to lock my word document before sending it via emeil so as the
receiver cannot edit it. THank You

Any user with Adobe Acrobat (not the reader) can edit a PDF.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

The question was how to create an uneditable document, not how to create a
PDF. Shove your guerilla marketing back up with the polyps.

"JohnThePresenter" wrote in
message ...

I use the free Cute PDF fWriter from www.cutepdf.com and it's adequate for
this sort of thing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Can't be done quite like that. The closest thing I can thing of would be to
use Publisher and send it as the body of the email instead of an attachment.
It kind of converts it to a graphic. But let's face it, if someone wants to
change a file badly enough, it'll get changed. If you have a document you
don't want changed and suspect people will try, keep it to yourself.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"soundmill" wrote in message
I want to lock my word document before sending it via emeil so as the
receiver cannot edit it. THank You

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On the Security tab of Tools | Options, choose "Password to modify." This
will prevent the user from editing (or saving edits) to the actual file. It
will NOT prevent the user from saving it under another file name (or the
same name in a different location), copying from the file, or any of the
other ways the content can be transferred.

"soundmill" wrote in message
I want to lock my word document before sending it via emeil so as the
receiver cannot edit it. THank You

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Chuck

Chuck Davis wrote:
Any user with Adobe Acrobat (not the reader) can edit a PDF.

A 256-bit password PDF protected for viewing only?

2cents
Robert
PS: I know there _is_ software out there supposedly able to crack the
security, but (aside from screenshots and the stuff Jezebel mentions) I
wouldn't think Acrobat itself can do so! :-)
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Three ways to defeat that:

1) Use an Acrobat clone: some of them simply ignore the security settings
(Acrobat has a warning about this on their security page).

2) Install a generic text printer, and print to FILE: -- you lose the
formatting, but you get all the text.

3) Open the PDF in an OCR app.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hi Chuck

Chuck Davis wrote:
Any user with Adobe Acrobat (not the reader) can edit a PDF.

A 256-bit password PDF protected for viewing only?

2cents
Robert
PS: I know there _is_ software out there supposedly able to crack the
security, but (aside from screenshots and the stuff Jezebel mentions) I
wouldn't think Acrobat itself can do so! :-)
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Bottom line, if the receiver can read it, the receiver can edit it. A simple
way to keep most people from editing it is to protect it for forms with a
password. Another simple way is to ask the person not to edit it. I am
assuming you are dealing with people for whom the second option is not
sufficient. If so, the first option should stop someone for perhaps a day.
(It would stop a knowledgeable Word user perhaps 20 seconds.)
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.