Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mme_Huguier

Default multiple indexes

I am teaching myself to create an index, using MSWord's Help program: so far
so good, but I need to create both a subject index and an author index in a
medical textbook. Word offers only an Index, a Table of Contents, a Table of
Figures and/or a Table of Authorities. What I need is two separate indexes.

I think I'm using Word2002 (it's hard to tell with it running) with Windows
XP.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

You need to add a "switch" to each index entry and a corresponding
"switch" in each of the two index fields.

All the index entries are created by making fields in the document.
Each field has a "keyword", which is the letters XE at the beginning.
Then there is the entry itself, between quotes. Optionally, you can
include switches, each of which consists of a backslash, a letter, and
some other information. Look at the Help topic on "Field codes: XE
(Index Entry) field" for the list of possible switches. The one you're
interested in is the \f "Type" switch.

In the entries that belong in the subject index, include a switch that
looks like \f "s" -- for example

{ XE "general history" \f "s" }

In the entries that belong in the author index, use \f "a" as in

{ XE "Marx, Groucho" \f "a" }

At the end of the document, insert an index field for the subject
index (which may contain other switches besides this one):

{ INDEX \f "s" }

and one for the author index:

{ INDEX \f "a" }

Each index will show only the entries with the corresponding switch.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman