Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tracey Tracey is offline

Default WP labels to Word Mail Merge?

is there a way? I have several lists of labels that I want to put into a Word
merge document/db. Is it possible? I'm hoping not to have to retype them all
but i think i'm going to have to. I've done a save as to a text file and it
will come up in Word but not sure if or how to make it into a merge db.

thanks
Tracey

We have Corel 8 and Office 2003
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Check Graham Mayor's Word Tips. http://gmayor.com He has an article on how
to do this.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Tracey" wrote in message
is there a way? I have several lists of labels that I want to put into a
Word
merge document/db. Is it possible? I'm hoping not to have to retype them
all
but i think i'm going to have to. I've done a save as to a text file and
it
will come up in Word but not sure if or how to make it into a merge db.

thanks
Tracey

We have Corel 8 and Office 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you have saved what is essentially a printed version of your addresses
(or whatever they are) then I suggest you look at Graham Mayor's article at:

http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

However, if you still have WP on your system, Word can use data in a number
of formats as the data source for a merge (if that is what you want to do),
and can also read older WP document formats.

In essence, Word expects a data source to be a simple table with column
labels on the first row. That table can be a simple comma- or tab-delimited
text file, a comma- or tab-delimited Word document, an Excel sheet, a table
in an Access database, and so on.

If your label data contains addresses, then the simplest way to keep the
data for future use is probably to create a table in a Word document with
one column with "Address" in the top cell and one address per cell. You may
be able to create that by creating such a table from your data in WP, and
either
a. saving it as a WP file then opening it in Word
b. exporting it as a Word or .rtf file (I do not know which is possible)

If your label data contains addresses with structural information (e.g. if
the address is explicitly split up into street name, city, country, etc.)
then you may want to try to create a data source with one column for each
part of the address (i.e. Street, City, whatever). In that case, try to
create a document contianing a table with one column for each address item,
and export that to .doc/.rtf etc. There are advantages and disadvantages to
each approach.

Peter Jamieson