Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
LouLou LouLou is offline

Default Can I do a mail merge with 2 separate data sources

I want to do a mail merge with data from 2 separate data sources but am
having difficulties. I've created 2 separate files for my form letter and
then imported a file into the other hoping that this would work. No Luck!
Any suggestions out there?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The short answer is "no", but it depends on what you mean.

A lot of people want to do something like invoicing, where they have a list
of invoices, then a list of detail lines for each invoice. If that is the
kind of thing you want to do, unfortunately Word is not designed to do that
sort of thing and you would be much better off doing it in something like
Access. However, the following articles show ways to do that sort of thing
in Word:

http://www.knowhow.com/Guides/Compou...poundMerge.htm

and/or

If that isn't the sort of thing you are trying to do, maybe you could
provide more detail, e.g.
a. what is in each data source?
b. what does the output need to look like?
c. (Which version of Word?)

Peter Jamieson

"LouLou" wrote in message
I want to do a mail merge with data from 2 separate data sources but am
having difficulties. I've created 2 separate files for my form letter
and
then imported a file into the other hoping that this would work. No Luck!
Any suggestions out there?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
LouLou LouLou is offline

Thanks Peter. You're quite correct it is a complete No No! I looked at
your suggestions but unfortunately they didn't work out for me - we're still
on Office 2000! Anyway, I've resolved it now, I managed to think outside of
the box. I linked my spreadsheets and inserted the information from one into
the other and obviously any time the main spreadsheet is amended the second
spreadsheet is updated due to the link. Doing it this way I was able to
enter a new mergefield and produce all the documentation required.

Many thanks for your help.

LouLou

"LouLou" wrote in message
I want to do a mail merge with data from 2 separate data sources but am
having difficulties. I've created 2 separate files for my form letter
and
then imported a file into the other hoping that this would work. No Luck!
Any suggestions out there?

Word 2003 Mail Merge Problem when E-Mailing Data Source Karen Townsend Mailmerge 3 June 20th 06 08:21 AM
Format Fractions in Mail Merge. John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] Mailmerge 4 March 22nd 06 08:55 AM
How Come? Michael Koerner Mailmerge 9 February 10th 06 10:29 PM
Mail merge using two data sources in same document Mommasbroke Mailmerge 5 December 10th 05 08:59 AM
Mail merge error occurs when filtering Excel data source Dave Mailmerge 1 December 2nd 04 10:46 PM