Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
woodworm woodworm is offline

Default How do I mail merge data to a table in Word?

In Word 2002 I could develop a data source with many fields and then mail
merge to a table in Word. In Word 2003 I can no longer do that. If it is
possible to mail merge to a table in Word 2003, where get I get instructions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In Word 2003, you would do it in exactly the same way as you did it in Word
2002. The mail merge process in those two versions of Word is identical.

In both cases, you use a directory type mail merge main document in which
you have a single row table with the merge fields in the cells of that
table. When you execute the merge to a new document, that document will
contain a table with a row of data for each record in the data source.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"woodworm" wrote in message
In Word 2002 I could develop a data source with many fields and then mail
merge to a table in Word. In Word 2003 I can no longer do that. If it is
possible to mail merge to a table in Word 2003, where get I get
instructions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
woodworm woodworm is offline

I made a mistake; it is Word 2000 that works, but have trouble with Word
2003. Where can I find step by step instructions? Couldn't find them in the
Help section.
woodworm

"woodworm" wrote:

In Word 2002 I could develop a data source with many fields and then mail
merge to a table in Word. In Word 2003 I can no longer do that. If it is
possible to mail merge to a table in Word 2003, where get I get instructions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

From the Tools menu, select Customize and then on the Commands tab of the
Customize dialog, select the All Commands category and scroll down through
the list of commands until you come to the Mail Merge Helper item and then
left click and drag that onto a toolbar or the expanded Tools menu. You
will then be able to use the Mail Merge Helper in the same way that you did
in Word 2000.

There is really no difference however apart from the fact that what used to
be called a catalog type mail merge (which I assume is what you were using)
is now called a directory type mail merge.

Another thing that you can do instead of using the dumb wizard in Word 2003
is to select Toolbars from the View menu and then check the Mail Merge item
so that the Mail Merge toolbar is displayed. I contains buttons that will
allow you to perform the complete merge process.

--

"woodworm" wrote:

In Word 2002 I could develop a data source with many fields and then mail
merge to a table in Word. In Word 2003 I can no longer do that. If it is
possible to mail merge to a table in Word 2003, where get I get
instructions?

Word 2000 mail merge documents won't save Access 2000 data source Andy C Mailmerge 1 May 17th 06 08:39 AM
Word Mail Merge - word cannot find its data source Frank Sonye Mailmerge 0 March 19th 06 08:16 PM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
How do I consolidate multiple mail merge data files into one file Robert Mailmerge 6 July 7th 05 10:11 PM
DotNet Data Table as Mail Merge Data Source goraya Mailmerge 1 July 7th 05 09:51 AM