Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Safi Safi is offline

Default Barcode Printign

Hi,

I have installed barcode fonts in fonts folder and merged a form letter
nearly 1000 pages with converting one field into barcode field, real trouble
is that after taking prints the barcode is printed but it is not recongised
by the barcode scanner. how can i solve this problem.as I want to print 1
lakh A4 letters with one unique field as barcode. and the barcode merge field
is like RBOR00232323 and the merge data is from excel sheet...any body help
plzz..

Regards,
Safi.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Assuming "RBOR00232323" is a value in your data source...
a. Do you have an application that can print the barcode corresponding to
"RBOR00232323" in a way that the scanner can recognise?
b. if so, what is the difference between the barcode generated in that way
and the one produced in Word?

(In particular, does "RBOR00232323" contain the checksum digits/characters
that a barcode system would expect to see? Barcode-aware software would
probably generate them, but Word does not, so if they are missing you may
need to work out how to add them to your data)

Peter Jamieson

"Safi" wrote in message
Hi,

I have installed barcode fonts in fonts folder and merged a form letter
nearly 1000 pages with converting one field into barcode field, real
trouble
is that after taking prints the barcode is printed but it is not
recongised
by the barcode scanner. how can i solve this problem.as I want to print 1
lakh A4 letters with one unique field as barcode. and the barcode merge
field
is like RBOR00232323 and the merge data is from excel sheet...any body
help
plzz..

Regards,
Safi.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Safi,

What type of barcode are you using (eg Code 128, Code 3of9)? Some, like Code
128, must be encoded; others, like Code 3of9, don't require encoding, but
they must start & end with an asterisk and may include a check character
(eg, Code 3of9 sometimes uses a MOD43 check character).

See the barcode FAQ at http://www.idautomation.com/ for more details of each
barcode's requirements.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Safi" wrote in message
Hi,

I have installed barcode fonts in fonts folder and merged a form letter
nearly 1000 pages with converting one field into barcode field, real

trouble
is that after taking prints the barcode is printed but it is not

recongised
by the barcode scanner. how can i solve this problem.as I want to print 1
lakh A4 letters with one unique field as barcode. and the barcode merge

field
is like RBOR00232323 and the merge data is from excel sheet...any body

help
plzz..

Regards,
Safi.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Safi Safi is offline

Default Barcode Printing

Hi,

a.yes the scanner reconiges
b.I have done this by placing * before and after my data i,e RBOR00232323
and the scanner does not reconiges.

I don't know how can it be done and what is the checksum charector? I am
using 3 of 9.

"Safi" wrote in message
Hi,

I have installed barcode fonts in fonts folder and merged a form letter
nearly 1000 pages with converting one field into barcode field, real
trouble
is that after taking prints the barcode is printed but it is not
recongised
by the barcode scanner. how can i solve this problem.as I want to print 1
lakh A4 letters with one unique field as barcode. and the barcode merge
field
is like RBOR00232323 and the merge data is from excel sheet...any body
help
plzz..

Regards,
Safi.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

1. I suggest you follow the link provided by macropod in his reply:

http://www.idautomation.com/

It seems to have relevant information and code for generating check digits.

b.I have done this by placing * before and after my data i,e RBOR00232323
and the scanner does not reconiges.

What is the difference between the two:
a. if the difference is that the bar code "looks different", then I would
guess that you need a check digit
b. if the difference is in the size of the barcode, then maybe the barcode
characters in Word are the wrong size and need to be re-sized.

Peter Jamieson