Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brock Sampson Brock Sampson is offline

Default word 2010 beta problems

I have been recently invited to participate in Office 2010 beta and I am
having probs with word 2010 beta...Always at open, it encounters an error and
has to close. All the other office programs work just fine! (outlook, access,
excel etc all ok)

On the top bar it does show word fails validation, all the other programs
validate just fine....I have tried the repair option, completely removed all
office products, run tools like CCleaner, complete reinstall and revalidate
and fully updated MS updates and of course needed reboots. I am running XP
Pro SP3

But I still have the same issue-any ideas?
--
Brock Sampson
GO TEAM VENTURE!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Do you have any addins installed? If so, try starting Word with the /safe
option and disable them.

Yves

"Brock Sampson" wrote in message
I have been recently invited to participate in Office 2010 beta and I am
having probs with word 2010 beta...Always at open, it encounters an error
and
has to close. All the other office programs work just fine! (outlook,
access,
excel etc all ok)

On the top bar it does show word fails validation, all the other programs
validate just fine....I have tried the repair option, completely removed
all
office products, run tools like CCleaner, complete reinstall and
revalidate
and fully updated MS updates and of course needed reboots. I am running XP
Pro SP3

But I still have the same issue-any ideas?
--
Brock Sampson
GO TEAM VENTURE!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If you need any additional help with this problem, please don't post
in the public forum. Problems with the beta are under your
nondisclosure agreement. Instead, post in the setup and installation
forum on Connect -- you should have gotten instructions on how to find
the beta forums when you got your invitation.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 15:03:17 +0100, "Yves Dhondt"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Jay,

The beta is public now
(http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx) so I doubt there are
any restrictions on where to talk about it.

Yves

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Ah, so it is... I foresee a lot of unanswerable questions in this
newsgroup, then.

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 18:09:05 +0100, "Yves Dhondt"
wrote:

Jay,

The beta is public now
(http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx) so I doubt there are
any restrictions on where to talk about it.

Yves

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The first one would be, How do I get it? I went to Yves's link, saw
that I wouldn't expect to use any of the 10 "improvements" anyway
(though the one that recovers unsaved documents might be handy), but
if it can handle newly added Unicode ranges, then I need it, clicked
the Download button, and it took me to a page asking me to "Sign in."
Signing in didn't work, so it suggested that maybe I need to sign _up_
first. But (a) that apparently means signing up for "Office Live,"
which I see from threads here can be quite problematic, and (b) there
wasn't any hint of how to sign up.

Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Does it really require signing up for Office Live or just for a Live ID (the
latest version of Passport)?

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Can't tell, since there was no evident way to sign up!

On Nov 26, 3:24*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Does it really require signing up for Office Live or just for a Live ID (the
latest version of Passport)?

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in ...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Whenever I log in on a "sign in" Live ID page, there's a panel to the left
that says, "To get started, sign up for a Windows LiveT ID" and a button
labeled "Sign up now."

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix on news.microsoft.com Gordon Bentley-Mix on news.microsoft.com is offline

Did you try adjusting the zoom setting in your browser? Or maybe you pressed
Ctrl+h when you meant to press Ctrl+Home? Perhaps there's a problem with your
normal.dotx? Did you rely on the documentation to tell you want the page is
supposed to do instead of looking at the code and seeing what it actually
does? Or could it be that someone has taken control of your computer? Or your
mind?
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup.

Read the original version of this post in the Office Discussion Groups - no
membership required!

wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is that the same as "Create a new Windows Live ID," which goes to
"Create Your Account," and is that something different and less
malicious than Office Live?

***
Well, it's moot, because after I filled in the form (with a password
containing only capital and small letters), it responded:

---
We are sorry, but we are unable to complete your request.
The following problem(s) exist:

•An error was encountered when we attempted to create your Windows
Live account.

Please ensure that you are not using any invalid characters in your
password (double-byte characters, spaces). Also, the following domains
to create a new Windows Live ID (these are reserved domains that
cannot be created through this process).

hotmail.com
msn.com
live.com
passport.com
---

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

wrote:

[...]

Or it could that the crows, what few of them are left, have conspired
to prevent him from getting access to the Word2010 Beta.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brock Sampson Brock Sampson is offline

In trying to update to all of your posts, I have not tried the /safe option,
I can only assume you mean to boot into safemode and try it, b/c I can do
nothing with word in normal mode as soon as it opens I get the usual MS has
encountered an error and needs to close and wants to send the error report to
MS.
Is there another /safe option you are talking about?
I believe it does have something to do with validating the product as out of
all the office products )excel, access, powerpoint etc) validate and work
just fine...Word 2010 is the only one that says failed validation.
Is there any ways to pre-validate the product before open like thru a
command prompt?
And as far as add-ins goes, there were some addins for outlook 2003 for like
my AV SW but they were disabled long ago, no other addins I am aware of
especially for word or even how to check since the program crashes at every
launch.I will check outlook for addins, where else can i look?

I do have a valid key, but dont even get the chance to enter it on word.

As far as posting in this forum, I dont know what to say besides deal with
it or sorry, It took me forever to find a forum to ask for help, i saw
nothing in the agreement about where to post or at least missed it, I always
scan them but really who actually reads every single word, (unless you are a
lawyer) But provide me with links to the appropriate forums and I will be
happy to post there.

As far as how to get and test the product, ( the link provided in Yves post
is valid to download 2010 office beta)...yes you need a windows live ID and
only an ID, I dont use windows live but am able to use my email address as
the ID and I found out about the technical preview (which was invite only and
I downloaded, but never installed) and was later invited to the beta test
version (which I did recently install and am having problems with) by reading
"My Digital Life" that is where I found the link and signed up for the invite.

I hope this helps other people but I am still looking for an answer to my
question.
--
Brock Sampson
GO TEAM VENTURE!

"Brock Sampson" wrote:

I have been recently invited to participate in Office 2010 beta and I am
having probs with word 2010 beta...Always at open, it encounters an error and
has to close. All the other office programs work just fine! (outlook, access,
excel etc all ok)

On the top bar it does show word fails validation, all the other programs
validate just fine....I have tried the repair option, completely removed all
office products, run tools like CCleaner, complete reinstall and revalidate
and fully updated MS updates and of course needed reboots. I am running XP
Pro SP3

But I still have the same issue-any ideas?
--
Brock Sampson
GO TEAM VENTURE!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The password doesn't seem to be the problem, so perhaps the problem is with
your email address. If you don't already have an email account with Hotmail
or MSN, you can't use those, but you should be able to use any other email
address (I'm still using my mvps.org address).

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brock Sampson Brock Sampson is offline

Thanks to Yves and Aidan Heritage @ the web site
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Microsoft...-safe-mode.htm
I found the answer to and fixed my own problem...Yes it was a add in option
that I thought was disabled causing the problem called "wordTabs v2.31" It
worked great in word 2003 allowing multiple tabs for multiple
document-switching instead of having more than one word program
running...What I didnt know was how to activate the safe switch which is run
cmd "winword.exe /a" which I found at en.allexperts.com posted by Aidan, I
was then able to launch 2010 w/o addons (no crashing) and then disabled the
add-ins one at a time until I found the culprit...It is working great
now....Thank you again Yves and Aidan.

--
Brock Sampson
GO TEAM VENTURE!

"Yves Dhondt" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I just tried it again, and got a very different sign-up screen (with a
Secret Question and a type-the-characters box), and this time it
actually said that " is a "restricted domain" and I would
have to use a different email address.

Well, I don't have a different email address, so if they don't want me
to try out Office2010, it's their loss. I doubt many of their beta
users will be trying to type a character table and a sample text in
hPags Pa.

wrote:
Jay,

The beta is public now
(http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx) so I doubt
there
are
any restrictions on where to talk about it.

Yves

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

People used to complain that they were required to get a "Microsoft" (i.e.,
Hotmail or MSN) email account in order to get a Passport (the precursor to
Live ID) and were reassured that, despite appearances, any email address
could be used; the information about Hotmail or MSN was offered to assure
people that, even if they didn't have an ISP-provided email address (for
example, if they were dependent on public computers), they could get a
(free) Hotmail or MSN account and use that email address to get the
Passport. I assumed that was still the case, but if it's disallowing
@verizon.net, then I don't know what's going on.

wrote:
Jay,

The beta is public now
(http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx) so I doubt
there
are
any restrictions on where to talk about it.

Yves

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

....so if they don't want me to try out Office2010, it's their loss.

That is certainly a matter of opinion contrary to many I am sure.

There could be something to that crow conspiracy or maybe you just don't
understand the workings of the clutch.

wrote:
Jay,

The beta is public now
(http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx) so I doubt
there
are
any restrictions on where to talk about it.

Yves

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix[_2_] Gordon Bentley-Mix[_2_] is offline

No worries Brock. It's all good. Looks like you found an answer in spite of
everything. BTW, to start Word in safe mode, just hold down the Shift key
whilst it's loading...
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

"Brock Sampson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As you see, hotmail.com and msn.com are among the disallowed domains;
I think it may have mentioned gmail in the screen I saw the first
time.

It's especially odd because, didn't MS just buy Yahoo? My account is
with Verizon Yahoo.

I've just acquired a Black Friday-price Acer Windows 7 notebook (yay!
now I, too, can go through extra rigmarole at the airport!), and even
though it won't involve a new email account, maybe something about it
will be different. Or maybe Word2007 will magically be able to handle
Unicode 5.2 ranges just because (as I assume) Windows 7 can.

wrote:
Jay,

The beta is public now
(http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx) so I doubt
there
are
any restrictions on where to talk about it.

Yves-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Nov 27, 12:11*pm, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:
...so if they don't want me to try out Office2010, it's their loss.

That is certainly a matter of opinion contrary to many I am sure.

You may think it's "gedorkian" to be concerned about the writing
systems of other peoples, but Microsoft doesn't, and also the
reviewers of my book don't.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Will your book work as written or will I have to read its description first?

Are you books intended for sensitive readers or readers in general? Do you
encourage readers of your books to intuit what you mean by what is unsaid or
do you try to write what you mean?

As you are the self appointed denouncer, judge and jury of other people's
written expressions, what is the penalty for the crime of expressing oneself
quite poorly?

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Nov 27, 12:11 pm, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:
...so if they don't want me to try out Office2010, it's their loss.

That is certainly a matter of opinion contrary to many I am sure.

You may think it's "gedorkian" to be concerned about the writing
systems of other peoples, but Microsoft doesn't, and also the
reviewers of my book don't.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Give it a rest, Greg.

http://word.mvps.org

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Will your book work as written or will I have to read its description
first?

Are you books intended for sensitive readers or readers in general? Do
you encourage readers of your books to intuit what you mean by what is
unsaid or do you try to write what you mean?

As you are the self appointed denouncer, judge and jury of other people's
written expressions, what is the penalty for the crime of expressing
oneself quite poorly?

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Nov 27, 12:11 pm, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:
...so if they don't want me to try out Office2010, it's their loss.

That is certainly a matter of opinion contrary to many I am sure.

You may think it's "gedorkian" to be concerned about the writing
systems of other peoples, but Microsoft doesn't, and also the
reviewers of my book don't.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

I will do no such thing.

The clown will not appoint himself newsgroup courtesy and express police and
then hurl his insults unchallenged.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Give it a rest, Greg.

http://word.mvps.org

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Will your book work as written or will I have to read its description
first?

Are you books intended for sensitive readers or readers in general? Do
you encourage readers of your books to intuit what you mean by what is
unsaid or do you try to write what you mean?

As you are the self appointed denouncer, judge and jury of other people's
written expressions, what is the penalty for the crime of expressing
oneself quite poorly?

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Nov 27, 12:11 pm, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:
...so if they don't want me to try out Office2010, it's their loss.

That is certainly a matter of opinion contrary to many I am sure.

You may think it's "gedorkian" to be concerned about the writing
systems of other peoples, but Microsoft doesn't, and also the
reviewers of my book don't.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What insults has he hurled *in this thread*? AFAICS, he is honestly trying
to figure out how to get a Live ID. Do you have any constructive advice to
offer?

http://word.mvps.org

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
I will do no such thing.

The clown will not appoint himself newsgroup courtesy and express police
and then hurl his insults unchallenged.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Give it a rest, Greg.

http://word.mvps.org

"Greg Maxey" wrote in
message ...
Will your book work as written or will I have to read its description
first?

Are you books intended for sensitive readers or readers in general? Do
you encourage readers of your books to intuit what you mean by what is
unsaid or do you try to write what you mean?

As you are the self appointed denouncer, judge and jury of other
people's written expressions, what is the penalty for the crime of
expressing oneself quite poorly?

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Nov 27, 12:11 pm, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:
...so if they don't want me to try out Office2010, it's their loss.

That is certainly a matter of opinion contrary to many I am sure.

You may think it's "gedorkian" to be concerned about the writing
systems of other peoples, but Microsoft doesn't, and also the
reviewers of my book don't.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

What insults has he hurled *in this thread*?

I did not pick the fight or the field. Mr. Daniels did.

Do you have any constructive advice to offer?

No. But I do hope that he fails in his attempt. The content of his posts
are bad enough when he is responding to existing Word releases. I certainly
don't look forward to a new spate of his erroneous posts when he gets
started with Word2010.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Nov 27, 12:11 pm, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:
...so if they don't want me to try out Office2010, it's their
loss. That is certainly a matter of opinion contrary to many I am
sure.

You may think it's "gedorkian" to be concerned about the writing
systems of other peoples, but Microsoft doesn't, and also the
reviewers of my book don't.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Nov 27, 6:44*pm, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:
What insults has he hurled *in this thread*?

I did not pick the fight or the field. *Mr. Daniels did.

Search the word "gedorkian."

Your antiintellectualism is a chilling reminder of the state of the
Rumsfeld armed forces. They either instilled it in you or failed to
extirpate it from you. Either way, it's shameful.

Do you have any constructive advice to offer?

No. *But I do hope that he fails in his attempt. *The content of his posts
are bad enough when he is responding to existing Word releases. *I certainly
don't look forward to a new spate of his erroneous posts when he gets
started with Word2010.

How can queries about dealing with new features be "erroneous"?

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
*AFAICS, he is honestly
trying to figure out how to get a Live ID. Do you have any
constructive advice to offer?

"Greg Maxey" wrote in
. ..
I will do no such thing.

The clown will not appoint himself newsgroup courtesy and express
police and then hurl his insults unchallenged.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
.. .
Give it a rest, Greg.

http://word.mvps.org

"Greg Maxey" wrote in
l...
Will your book work as written or will I have to read its
description first?

Are you books intended for sensitive readers or readers in
general? *Do you encourage readers of your books to intuit what
you mean by what is unsaid or do you try to write what you mean?

As you are the self appointed denouncer, judge and jury of other
people's written expressions, what is the penalty for the crime of
expressing oneself quite poorly?

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Nov 27, 12:11 pm, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:
...so if they don't want me to try out Office2010, it's their
loss. That is certainly a matter of opinion contrary to many I am
sure.

You may think it's "gedorkian" to be concerned about the writing
systems of other peoples, but Microsoft doesn't, and also the
reviewers of my book don't.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Search the word "gedorkian."

Any hits on "gedorkian" in reference to your chosen profession or related to
me will follow the day you appointed yourself the newsgroup courtesy police
and launched your attack on my posts and methods.

Half truths, attempts to divert blame for the consequences of your own
actions, or dragging any or all other unrelated matters into the discussion
to avoid facing the truth are typical behavior of a base coward.

It isn't the queries. It is your pitiful, often biased, usually misleading,
and mostly arrogant attempts at answering them that are so annoying.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Nov 27, 12:11 pm, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:
...so if they don't want me to try out Office2010, it's their
loss. That is certainly a matter of opinion contrary to many I am
sure.

You may think it's "gedorkian" to be concerned about the writing
systems of other peoples, but Microsoft doesn't, and also the
reviewers of my book don't.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I guess if you like to continue to be a laughing stock then go right ahead.
Your notoriety isn't limited to this newsgroup. Ever since the topic of your
resignation and what you posted on your web page regarding it came up,
people started asking questions and they've been reading and commenting on
what you've been posting. It's too bad you've lost respect amongst your
peers over such a silly little comment that most would have blown off.

Personally, I don't think the 'worm' jokes are incredibly funny, myself. I
think it's a shame to see someone with such honor and integrity fall into
such a state of disgrace. It greatly saddens me. :-(

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
I will do no such thing.

The clown will not appoint himself newsgroup courtesy and express police
and then hurl his insults unchallenged.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Give it a rest, Greg.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Hi Brock,

I'm glad you were able to find your answer. :-) If you're still looking for
Office 2010 specific groups you can use those found he
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ory/office2010

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP