Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Joe

Default Font Reduces in Word when Printing on A5

I am trying to help one of our senior members here with a problem that he is
having. i.e.

Joe.
I am writing a letter on M.S. Word and want to print that on size A5.

The printing is no problem but the print size come up so small it is hardly
readable. How can I overcome that? The size is even smaller than this.

I did advise him to go into File/Page Setup/Paper and change the size to A5
but that didn't resolve his problem.

Can anyone assist us please?

--

Regards
Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Armadillow

Setting page size to A5 is only half the answer. Several places need to
have the A5 selection. Go to the Properties button of your Print menu.
Click on the "Effect" tab, and make sure that the document size is A5. Look
right under it...there is a radio button that needs to be checked...Scale To
Fit. Click on OK button. See if this helps.

"Joe" wrote:

I am trying to help one of our senior members here with a problem that he is
having. i.e.

Joe.
I am writing a letter on M.S. Word and want to print that on size A5.

The printing is no problem but the print size come up so small it is hardly
readable. How can I overcome that? The size is even smaller than this.

I did advise him to go into File/Page Setup/Paper and change the size to A5
but that didn't resolve his problem.

Can anyone assist us please?

--

Regards
Joe
Tasmania

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

'Scale to fit' is more likely to be the problem than the solution. Changing
the document page setup shouldn't change the font size, but scaling in the
print dialog certainly will.

"Joe" wrote:

I am trying to help one of our senior members here with a problem
that he is having. i.e.

Joe.
I am writing a letter on M.S. Word and want to print that on size A5.

The printing is no problem but the print size come up so small it is
hardly readable. How can I overcome that? The size is even smaller
than this.

I did advise him to go into File/Page Setup/Paper and change the
size to A5 but that didn't resolve his problem.

Can anyone assist us please?

--

Regards
Joe
Tasmania

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Joe

Thanks Armidillow and Graham.

Graham, if ' scale to fit is more likely to be the problem than the solution
' what suggestions do you have to help this person please?

--

Regards
Joe

"Joe" wrote:

I am trying to help one of our senior members here with a problem
that he is having. i.e.

Joe.
I am writing a letter on M.S. Word and want to print that on size A5.

The printing is no problem but the print size come up so small it is
hardly readable. How can I overcome that? The size is even smaller
than this.

I did advise him to go into File/Page Setup/Paper and change the
size to A5 but that didn't resolve his problem.

Can anyone assist us please?

--

Regards
Joe
Tasmania

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

If the document originally had a page size of greater than A4, file page
setup paper paper size A5 will change the paper size without changing
the font size.

"Joe" wrote:

I am trying to help one of our senior members here with a problem
that he is having. i.e.

Joe.
I am writing a letter on M.S. Word and want to print that on size
A5. The printing is no problem but the print size come up so small it
is hardly readable. How can I overcome that? The size is even
smaller than this.

I did advise him to go into File/Page Setup/Paper and change the
size to A5 but that didn't resolve his problem.

Can anyone assist us please?

--

Regards
Joe
Tasmania

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans

Just in case the obvious has been missed ....

When you say "senior member" do you perhaps mean "old" - and possibly
someone who has failing eyesight and large fonts displayed on screen. If so,
what size is the font really? Is the A5 paper actually relevant or is the
font small on all paper sizes?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Joe" wrote:

I am trying to help one of our senior members here with a problem
that he is having. i.e.

Joe.
I am writing a letter on M.S. Word and want to print that on size
A5. The printing is no problem but the print size come up so small it
is hardly readable. How can I overcome that? The size is even
smaller than this.

I did advise him to go into File/Page Setup/Paper and change the
size to A5 but that didn't resolve his problem.

Can anyone assist us please?

--

Regards
Joe
Tasmania

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Joe

But that was the reason for the request for help, the page was A4 size and
he wanted to print it out on A5 and when he increased the size of the paper
the font reduced from Arial 12 down to about 6. I did copy and paste the
original size that he sent me but it didn't display here.

So the original did not have a size greater than A4, it was A4 thus my
original posting.

--

"Joe" wrote:

I am trying to help one of our senior members here with a problem
that he is having. i.e.

Joe.
I am writing a letter on M.S. Word and want to print that on size
A5. The printing is no problem but the print size come up so small it
is hardly readable. How can I overcome that? The size is even
smaller than this.

I did advise him to go into File/Page Setup/Paper and change the
size to A5 but that didn't resolve his problem.

Can anyone assist us please?

--

Regards
Joe
Tasmania

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Joe

Yes I do mean old or aged whatever term suits, we are a group of Seniors who
are in a state-wide organisation and I try and run the helpdesk to assist
our members some of whom are aged up to the nineties.

You can have a look at http://users.bigpond.com/linkingseniors/ if you
desire to.

The original font that he was using was Arial 12 and he had the page set to
A4, but for some reason he wanted it printed on A5 and that's when the
trouble began. As far as I know he only gets the font problem when he tries
to print on the A5 paper.

--

Regards
Joe

"Joe" wrote:

I am trying to help one of our senior members here with a problem
that he is having. i.e.

Joe.
I am writing a letter on M.S. Word and want to print that on size
A5. The printing is no problem but the print size come up so small
it
is hardly readable. How can I overcome that? The size is even
smaller than this.

I did advise him to go into File/Page Setup/Paper and change the
size to A5 but that didn't resolve his problem.

Can anyone assist us please?

--

Regards
Joe
Tasmania

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

A senior moment there I meant to say 'greater than A5'.

My guess is that the user has set A5 as the paper size in the print dialog
and is shrinking the A4 page to fit in that print dialog. This would indeed
shrink the font size by half, to retain the page layout. There is no
mechanism that would cause a paper size change as described in my previous
post to change the font size. Changing the paper size merely causes the text
to reflow on to more pages.

"Joe" wrote:

I am trying to help one of our senior members here with a problem
that he is having. i.e.

Joe.
I am writing a letter on M.S. Word and want to print that on size
A5. The printing is no problem but the print size come up so
small it is hardly readable. How can I overcome that? The size
is even smaller than this.

I did advise him to go into File/Page Setup/Paper and change the
size to A5 but that didn't resolve his problem.

Can anyone assist us please?

--

Regards
Joe
Tasmania

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

To clarify, A5 is *smaller* than A4 (half the size). Word does not reduce
the font size when you reduce the paper size *unless* you're reducing the
paper size by printing "2 pages per sheet" in the Print dialog or using the
"Scale to paper size" option in the Print dialog. From the description, it
sounds very likely that your user has selected A5 under "Scale to paper
size" instead of actually resetting the paper size to A5 in the Page Setup
dialog.

If your user wants to *increase* the size of the printout, he could change
the actual paper size to A5 in Page Setup and then choose A4 in the "Scale
to paper size" dropdown in the Print dialog to print it twice as big.

"Joe" wrote:

I am trying to help one of our senior members here with a problem
that he is having. i.e.

Joe.
I am writing a letter on M.S. Word and want to print that on size
A5. The printing is no problem but the print size come up so small

it
is hardly readable. How can I overcome that? The size is even
smaller than this.

I did advise him to go into File/Page Setup/Paper and change the
size to A5 but that didn't resolve his problem.

Can anyone assist us please?

--

Regards
Joe
Tasmania

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Joe

Many thanks to all who have responded to this posting, I have collated the
information and passed it onto our member.

--

Regards
Joe
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
To clarify, A5 is *smaller* than A4 (half the size). Word does not reduce
the font size when you reduce the paper size *unless* you're reducing the
paper size by printing "2 pages per sheet" in the Print dialog or using
the
"Scale to paper size" option in the Print dialog. From the description, it
sounds very likely that your user has selected A5 under "Scale to paper
size" instead of actually resetting the paper size to A5 in the Page Setup
dialog.

If your user wants to *increase* the size of the printout, he could change
the actual paper size to A5 in Page Setup and then choose A4 in the "Scale
to paper size" dropdown in the Print dialog to print it twice as big.

so