Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amalof

Default can I convert autonumber to text?

I have several documents I need to combine, They have inconsistent
fomatting. If I can convert the autonumber lists/bullets it will save some
pretty major headaches.
Office (Word) Professional 2003
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amalof

I have documents from several sources, including some converted from Mac.
Each seems to have used different defaults or styles, so the tab settings are
inconsistent. Each of the documents contains numbered lists. Some were
autonumbered, some were typed in. Some indent eg 1", some eg 1.5". There
are hanging indents and non-hanging indents. I'm trying to save the effort
of either removing all formatting, and thus having to go through and renumber
everything, and the frustration involved with trying to reformat the autotext
page by page. I'm thinking if I could turn the autonumbers globally into
regular, editable text, It would be the easiest way (for me) to make this
document consistent in appearance.
Thanks

"amalof" wrote in message
I have several documents I need to combine, They have inconsistent
fomatting. If I can convert the autonumber lists/bullets it will save

some
pretty major headaches.
Office (Word) Professional 2003
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Your best bet is to define a series of styles with outline numbering (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html) and apply
these consistently to the text. I suggest that you print out a copy of the
existing text as a guide to applying the styles.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What is your specific question? Do you find that applying the same style

text creates inconsistent formatting?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"amalof" wrote in message
I have several documents I need to combine, They have inconsistent
fomatting. If I can convert the autonumber lists/bullets it will save

some
pretty major headaches.
Office (Word) Professional 2003
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus

"amalof" wrote

page by page. I'm thinking if I could turn the autonumbers globally into
regular, editable text, It would be the easiest way (for me) to make this
document consistent in appearance.

You can turn the autonumbers into editable text by highlighting the entire
document, copying it to the clipboard, and then pasting into a new document.
In the little clipboard square that appears, choose "Keep text only". This
will replace all the autonumbers with the corresponding real numbers that
you can edit. It will however also lose all of your other formatting.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Al

?B?YW1hbG9m?= wrote in
:

I have several documents I need to combine, They have inconsistent
fomatting. If I can convert the autonumber lists/bullets it will save
some pretty major headaches.
Office (Word) Professional 2003
Thanks

To convert autonumbering to text for whole document:
Press Alt+F11 thentype in the Immediate window:
ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
and press enter.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amalof

Wow. I think that worked! Thanks.

"Al" wrote:

?B?YW1hbG9m?= wrote in
:

I have several documents I need to combine, They have inconsistent
fomatting. If I can convert the autonumber lists/bullets it will save
some pretty major headaches.
Office (Word) Professional 2003
Thanks

To convert autonumbering to text for whole document:
Press Alt+F11 thentype in the Immediate window:
ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
and press enter.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus

?B?YW1hbG9m?= wrote in
:

To convert autonumbering to text for whole document:
Press Alt+F11 thentype in the Immediate window:
ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
and press enter.

I'm not seeing an "Immediate" window when I press Alt-F11...

Oh there it is. Under "View" (and also control-G). And it works! Thanks!

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amalof

I saw also I could overifde all autoformatting by changing the properties of
"ThisDocument" - Override autoformat - from false to true. This took care of
bullets and other nuisance items.
Thanks again

"Al" wrote:

?B?YW1hbG9m?= wrote in
:

I have several documents I need to combine, They have inconsistent
fomatting. If I can convert the autonumber lists/bullets it will save
some pretty major headaches.
Office (Word) Professional 2003
Thanks

To convert autonumbering to text for whole document:
Press Alt+F11 thentype in the Immediate window:
ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
and press enter.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
klam

thx a mint, this saved me too!

enjoy-la!
karen

"Opinicus" wrote:

?B?YW1hbG9m?= wrote in
:

To convert autonumbering to text for whole document:
Press Alt+F11 thentype in the Immediate window:
ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
and press enter.

I'm not seeing an "Immediate" window when I press Alt-F11...

Oh there it is. Under "View" (and also control-G). And it works! Thanks!

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barb Barb is offline

This is EXACTLY what I needed to do. I have manuals, that for some crazy
reason, the line numbering keeps changing when my boss opens it. NOW I can
set it so they don't automatically renumber!!! I just KNEW there had to be a
way to do this! I know this probably sounds a bit 'caveman-ish', but hey it
makes him happy...
--
Thanks!
Barb