Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kim

Default Custom Styles Questions

When I have the Styles and Formatting Task Pane open, on the bottom you have
the drop down list where you can choose either, Available Styles, Styles in
Use, All Styles and Custom.

I thought that if I go to Custom and in the custom window I have Available
Styles selected, that then I can go through the list and check mark the
styles I want to see when I switch to Available Styles in the Task Pane
window. If I want this list to appear for all my new documents, then I have
to checkmark where it says Save Settings In Template.

Then after I create and save to my normal.dot my Available Styles List, I
then go back into Custom and choose All Styles and click on Select All on the
top of that window so it will check mark them all. I then check mark Save
Settings in Template. Am I correct so far?

What's going on is that back in the Task Pane, when I choose Available
Styles after updating my All Styles list, it's showing a bunch of styles I
never set it to show.

My questions a

1. Does it save the changes to my Normal.dot when I checkmark Save in
Template?

2. Why is it changing my Available Styles list after I updated my All
Styles list in the custom window.

3. What on earth is the difference between Available Styles and Styles in
Use? I don't see any difference between the two. I thought Styles in Use
would only show the styles I've actually used in my document. For me, it's
showing the same list as my Available.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Available styles" really has meaning only if the document is protected for
formatting, in which case it means the styles that the template designer is
allowing you to use. AFAIAC, all styles in use should be available, but Word
doesn't think so: even if you display All Styles, it won't display TOC
styles, Footnote/Endnote Text/Reference, and several other "reserved"
styles.

I find the implementation so puzzling that I avoid it insofar as possible.
As long as you never tinker with it, Word seems to be happy to display the
styles in use (adding them as they're used, at least in the Styles
dropdown), but the task pane is a mystery to me. For elucidation, however,
see http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/sfpa...ttingPane.html