Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sarah Monroe

Default Applying partial borders to text not to paragraph

I am using Word 2003. I want to apply a border to text using the Borders and
Shading dialogue box. This works fine when I want to put a box all the way
round the text (I just select "Apply to... Text" in the bottom right), and
indeed I can make the border any kind of funky colour, but the dialogue box
will not allow me to apply a partial border (e.g. below and above the text
but not to the left or the right). This seems very strange as I can apply
these "partial" borders fine to a paragraph whenI have "Apply to ...
Paragraph" selected, by using the "Custom" setting.

Am I doing something wrong or is this impossible?

If it is impossible - is there a workaround? I would like to be able to
create this effect (text with a line under it and a line over it) in a Styles
based document, without having to manually adjust the paragraph margins to
make the border fit my text. It sort of works if I put the paragraph in a
frame but is quite user-unfriendly - for example I can't move the top edge of
the frame further away from the text.

Would really appreciate tips - it seems so unbelievable that I can't just
select this set up in the Borders and Shading dialogue box!

Many thanks
Sarah
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

To get borders above and below some text, use the following EQ field:
{ EQ \x \bo \to (text here) }.

To insert the field delimiters, {}, press Ctrl+F9. Then type the
commands as shown above. Press F9.

You can use Alt+F9 to toggle between showing field codes and field
results (this affects all fields, including page numbers).

For more, look in Word Help and/or
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm for instructions.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sarah Monroe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Sadly, the bordering for text is full box or nothing (as you've discovered).

However the frame method will work: to adjust the space between the top of
the frame and the text, right-click the edge of the frame, select Borders
and Shading, set the border for top and bottom, then click Options (in the
lower right of the dialog) and set the left/right/top/bottom spacing. These
values set the distance from the border, rather than the distance from the
edge of the frame -- the value is ignored if there is no corresponding
border.

"Sarah Monroe" Sarah wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sarah Monroe

Thanks all.

Jezebel - The Borders/Options method you describe works great for fixing the
frame problem mentioned. But now I know I have to use the frame method I
have one other related issue with it:

How do I get the frame lines to extend a bit outside the text (so they are a
bit longer than the text)? The only way I have found is to set the Left and
Right distances from text in the Borders and Shading/Options box, and then
create borders on the left and the right of the text that are set to be
coloured white! (If I just leave the left and right borders blank then the
Left and Right distances have no effect.)

This works but feels very amateur! I don't suppose there is a better way?

"Jezebel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sarah Monroe

I feel much better.

"Jezebel" wrote:

That's the method I use, too.

"Sarah Monroe" wrote in message
Thanks all.

Jezebel - The Borders/Options method you describe works great for fixing
the
frame problem mentioned. But now I know I have to use the frame method I
have one other related issue with it:

How do I get the frame lines to extend a bit outside the text (so they are
bit longer than the text)? The only way I have found is to set the Left
and
Right distances from text in the Borders and Shading/Options box, and then
create borders on the left and the right of the text that are set to be
coloured white! (If I just leave the left and right borders blank then
the
Left and Right distances have no effect.)

This works but feels very amateur! I don't suppose there is a better way?

snip
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you need another vote of confidence, that's the method I've always used
(and seen recommended elsewhere).

"Sarah Monroe" wrote in message
news
I feel much better.