Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cat

Default Save 2,400 letters saved from merge document

When I try to retrieve the 2,400 letters generated from the merge form after
the initial merge and saving it to a new file name, I can only view one
letter of the 2,400. It always asks me: "Opening the document will run the
following SQL command. Slect from "name of file". Data from your database
will be place in the doument. Do you want to continue?" If I say yes or no
only the last letter I viewed when originally merging shows. How can I view
all 2,400 letters without linking it back to the data base? I need to print,
view, and/or edit individual letters as needed; without linking it to the
original data base. As always thanks..........
--
cat
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You receive the "Opening this will run the following SQL command" message
when you open a Word mail merge main document that is linked to a data
source - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=825765

If you want to selectively view and print from yourmerge, merge to a new
document.

See also http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

cat wrote:
When I try to retrieve the 2,400 letters generated from the merge
form after the initial merge and saving it to a new file name, I can
only view one letter of the 2,400. It always asks me: "Opening the
document will run the following SQL command. Slect from "name of
file". Data from your database will be place in the doument. Do you
want to continue?" If I say yes or no only the last letter I viewed
when originally merging shows. How can I view all 2,400 letters
without linking it back to the data base? I need to print, view,
and/or edit individual letters as needed; without linking it to the
original data base. As always thanks..........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

That message indicates that you have not executed the mailmerge. You must
execute the merge to a new document. It is that document that will contain
the 2400 letters.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"cat" wrote in message
When I try to retrieve the 2,400 letters generated from the merge form
after
the initial merge and saving it to a new file name, I can only view one
letter of the 2,400. It always asks me: "Opening the document will run the
following SQL command. Slect from "name of file". Data from your
database
will be place in the doument. Do you want to continue?" If I say yes or
no
only the last letter I viewed when originally merging shows. How can I
view
all 2,400 letters without linking it back to the data base? I need to
print,
view, and/or edit individual letters as needed; without linking it to the
original data base. As always thanks..........
--
cat

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Display the Mail Merge toolbar by selecting Toolbars from the View menu and
then check the Mail Merge item. On the right hand end of the toolbar there
are buttons for executing the merge to the various destinations.

See the article "Mailmerge Labels with Word XP" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at