Jessy

Default Styles in Word 2003

Im using Word 2003 SP1.

I have created styles for use in my normal.dot (template). When I open
someones document, their styles are automatically imported in with their
document. How do I prevent Word from doing this (so that I can use my styles
in their document and so that their styles dont override mine €“ cause there
are instances when the style name is the same).

For example: My coworker has numbering/bulleting styles which arent
working correctly on her machine. I tried opening her file on my computer
and applying my numbering/bulleting styles (which normally work correctly),
but all of a sudden WITHIN HER FILE, my numbering/bulleting styles dont work
right. When I create a new blank document, however, the styles work
perfectly.

So how would I either go about locking down the style import feature or
stripping her document of the styles she used (without having to clear all
the formatting). I tried selecting the entire document and pasting it into a
new blank document, but this did not work. I tried selecting parts of the
document and pasting it into a new blank document, but again, it didnt work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jessy

Margaret Aldis

Hi Jessy

Styles are stored in a document so you won't get your styles when you open
someone else's document. For a clear exposition of what happens see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...xtChanges.html. Note that
Word often seems to treat numbering as direct formatting, even when it comes
from the style.

In Word 2003, a solution for the particular problem you describe might be to
create a new document and *lock it for styles* - then paste in the problem
document. Any direct formatting or styles not in your document will be
thrown away, but where style names match the paragraphs will be forced to
take on the formatting from your document.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP