Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
robert morris[_2_] robert morris[_2_] is offline

Default Windows 98 Word to Office 2007

I finally came out of the dark ages. Problem is I transfered quite a number
of Word documents to a CD-RW. I need to restore some of them to use as
templates. I see them on the CD but need to open and save in the Office 2007
format. I receive a message of "program not responding". I need to know how
to remove the "Read Only" attribute and how to save them to Office 2007. I
have looked through the Help however could not find an answer.

Bob M.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:01:00 -0700, robert morris
wrote:

I finally came out of the dark ages. Problem is I transfered quite a number
of Word documents to a CD-RW. I need to restore some of them to use as
templates. I see them on the CD but need to open and save in the Office 2007
format. I receive a message of "program not responding". I need to know how
to remove the "Read Only" attribute and how to save them to Office 2007. I
have looked through the Help however could not find an answer.

Bob M.

First, don't try to use them directly from the CD. Copy them to a
folder on the hard disk. Once they're there, select all of them,
right-click, select Properties, and uncheck the Read Only box.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
robert morris[_2_] robert morris[_2_] is offline

Jay,

Many thanks for the reply. I do find that I cannot simply open the file
using "open". It does work perfectly if I open with the "Edit" selection
from the Properties Box.

Is this normal?

Bob M.

wrote:

I finally came out of the dark ages. Problem is I transfered quite a number
of Word documents to a CD-RW. I need to restore some of them to use as
templates. I see them on the CD but need to open and save in the Office 2007
format. I receive a message of "program not responding". I need to know how
to remove the "Read Only" attribute and how to save them to Office 2007. I
have looked through the Help however could not find an answer.

Bob M.

First, don't try to use them directly from the CD. Copy them to a
folder on the hard disk. Once they're there, select all of them,
right-click, select Properties, and uncheck the Read Only box.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If they are templates, the default action applied by Windows Explorer would
be to create new documents from them. You should be able to open them
directly from Word 2007 or from right click edit in Explorer. You can
change the default action from Explorer tools folder options file
types if you want.