Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diana Diana is offline

Default Date Code Problem

Our firm has a policy of using the date code in all letters. One of our
users is having a sporadic problem (has only happened about five times) of
opening a letter on a different date than when it was created but the date
does not update. Update automatically is selected in the Insert/Date and
Time window. When I toggle the codes, it show correctly as:

{ DATE /@"MMMM d, yyyy" }

If the letter is more than one page, the date code on the second and
subsequent pages does show the correct date in the header.

Any ideas why this is happening?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

First of all, let's clarify that the setting of "Update automatically" in
the Insert | Date and Time dialog has nothing to do with existing dates or
fields; this check box just governs whether the date inserted using this
dialog is plain text or a DATE field.

As for why the date doesn't update in the given document, I would imagine
that the date appears in the document body on the first page and in the
header on subsequent pages. Fields in general (including the DATE field) are
no longer updated on opening a document. All fields in the header and footer
are updated each time the document is repaginated (which happens frequently
in Print Layout view), but fields in the document body are not updated till
you print or Print Preview (unless you update them manually using F9).

"Diana" wrote in message
Our firm has a policy of using the date code in all letters. One of our
users is having a sporadic problem (has only happened about five times) of
opening a letter on a different date than when it was created but the date
does not update. Update automatically is selected in the Insert/Date and
Time window. When I toggle the codes, it show correctly as:

{ DATE /@"MMMM d, yyyy" }

If the letter is more than one page, the date code on the second and
subsequent pages does show the correct date in the header.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diana Diana is offline

I actually solved the problem. The date code does not update when you are in
Normal View; however, as soon as you change to Print View, the date changes.