Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
johny why johny why is offline

Default 2007 Backup Bug?

hello

in Word 2007, if you enable "Always Save Backup", the backup copy does NOT
contain the previous version of the file, as it does in Word 2003.

as a result, if you accidentally delete all the text in your most recent
save (eg., 'mydocument.docx'), then the backup ('Backup of mydocument.wbk')
will also be empty, and you will have lost all your text.

is this a bug? why does 2007 handle backups differently than previous
versions of Word? can 2007 be set to backup files with the previous file
version?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I've just now proved to myself by direct experiment that Word 2007 *does* behave
like previous versions and not as you say it does. You may have some special
setting or circumstance that's interfering with the intended saving of backups,
but that is definitely not standard behavior.

One thing that might give that result is if you accidentally hit Ctrl+S twice in
quick succession, or hold it down long enough for the key to repeat.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 13:58:12 -0700, "johny why" wrote:

hello

in Word 2007, if you enable "Always Save Backup", the backup copy does NOT
contain the previous version of the file, as it does in Word 2003.

as a result, if you accidentally delete all the text in your most recent
save (eg., 'mydocument.docx'), then the backup ('Backup of mydocument.wbk')
will also be empty, and you will have lost all your text.

is this a bug? why does 2007 handle backups differently than previous
versions of Word? can 2007 be set to backup files with the previous file
version?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
johny why johny why is offline

i'm not clicking Save twice, or pressing ctrl-S twice. i just close Word,
without manually saving, and click 'Yes' on 'Save changes?'

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The same applies if you do that. Any changed file is saved at the current
time. The backup is the previously saved version. There has been no change
attributable to Word that has altered the save and backup behaviour in Word
2007.

johny why wrote:
i'm not clicking Save twice, or pressing ctrl-S twice. i just close
Word, without manually saving, and click 'Yes' on 'Save changes?'

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
johny why johny why is offline

so what could be causing this incorrect behavior?
i'm definitely not saving saving twice.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Probably some third party add-in interfering with Word. Try the test.

Start Word in Safe Mode: from Start | Run (Winkey+R), type in

winword /a

and press enter. Open a document and edit it, close the document and answer
Yes to save it. Close Word.

Now open Word normally and check the backed up copy. Is it as expected now?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"johny why" wrote in message
so what could be causing this incorrect behavior? i'm definitely not
saving saving twice.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
johny why johny why is offline

your test fails.

i run 'winword /a'

i enable 'Always create backup copy'

i close word

i run 'winword /a'

'Always create backup copy' is no longer enabled

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

'Always create a backup copy' will not be saved from safe mode. But whilst
you were in safe mode (with 'Always create backup copy' enabled, did you
test by opening and editing a document, saving and closing. I'm not trying
to test the setting because I know it is off by default: I am trying to
establish if backup works when the option is enabled in Safe Mode?

Terry

"johny why" wrote in message
your test fails.

i run 'winword /a'

i enable 'Always create backup copy'

i close word

i run 'winword /a'

'Always create backup copy' is no longer enabled

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
johny why johny why is offline

ok, that seems to work. in safe mode, the backup is the previous copy.

i removed the Office Live addin.

now backup is behaving correctly (in normal mode, not safe mode).

the office live addin seems to be the problem.

i noticed when office live was installed, i got the office live dialog box
every time i opened word, even though i checked the "Do not show me this
message again" checkbox.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Interesting. Another silly bug in Live. I'll note that for future reports.
Thanks for sticking with it.

Terry

"johny why" wrote in message
ok, that seems to work. in safe mode, the backup is the previous copy.

i removed the Office Live addin.

now backup is behaving correctly (in normal mode, not safe mode).

the office live addin seems to be the problem.

i noticed when office live was installed, i got the office live dialog box
every time i opened word, even though i checked the "Do not show me this
message again" checkbox.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Norbert Norbert is offline

Thanks for posting this. I've had the same problem for months and it was
driving me to distraction.

I simply unloaded the Live add-in and guess what? The program started
working as intended.

Thanks again.

ND