amybelle28

Default Formatting from earlier Word not being retained.

I have a lot of Word docs that are from earlier versions of Word, and when
they are updated in Word 2003, the original formatting (such as tabs, and
numbering) is not being translated correctly. Please advise me on how to set
up my Word 2003 so that these older word docs will retain their original
formatting.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?YW15YmVsbGUyOA==?=,

I have a lot of Word docs that are from earlier versions of Word, and when
they are updated in Word 2003, the original formatting (such as tabs, and
numbering) is not being translated correctly. Please advise me on how to set
up my Word 2003 so that these older word docs will retain their original
formatting.

Normally, this should be no problem. From your description, my best guess as to
what's going on is that your documents are set to "Update styles automatically"
in Tools/Templates and Addins. But the template from which they're pulling the
style information is different than what you had before, with different style
definitions. Assuming you never chose a specific template when creating your
documents, then the template in question would be Normal.dot. In order to get
things "right" again, you'd have to replace the current Normal.dot with your old
Normal.dot.

That's assuming, of course, that I've guessed the cause correctly...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)