Default What does "All styles" mean?

Well, it certainly doesn't really mean *all* styles. But see
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/sfpa...ttingPane.html

"Julie" wrote in message
What does "All styles" mean in the Show box? And how is that different

from
"Available styles"?
--
Julie

Stefan Blom

Perhaps it means "all the styles that Microsoft thinks (new) users of
Word can handle"?

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Well, it certainly doesn't really mean *all* styles. But see
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/sfpa...ttingPane.html

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Julie" wrote in message
What does "All styles" mean in the Show box? And how is that

different
from
"Available styles"?
--
Julie

Apparently. Frustratingly, though, it doesn't include the styles we often
need to refer users to, such as Footnote/Endnote Text/Reference and TOC
styles. Which is why one of the first things I did to customize Word 2002
was add a button for the Format Style dialog to my toolbar!

"Julie" wrote in message
What does "All styles" mean in the Show box? And how is that

different
from
"Available styles"?
--
Julie

Julie

Thanks for all that information. In the Word 2003 All Styles list Footnote,
Endnote and TOCs are there, so that's good. However, I am still mystified
about the difference between All Styles and Available Styles. Why would some
styles not be available?

"Julie" wrote in message
What does "All styles" mean in the Show box? And how is that

different
from
"Available styles"?
--
Julie

Julie

OK, that's clear now thanks Suzanne.

Another related thing that puzzles me is when you choose "Styles in use" you
get a lot more styles than the ones being used. In fact it looks like the
available styles list. Is the "Styles in use" option supposed to list only
the styles in use in that document?

"Julie" wrote in message
What does "All styles" mean in the Show box? And how is that
different
from
"Available styles"?
--
Julie

I think "Styles in use" means "Styles that have ever been used in this
document (or template)." So if you format a paragraph with Style A and later
change it to Style B or delete the paragraph, so that there is no longer any
text formatted with Style A, Style A will still be displayed as "in use."
You can delete all "Styles in use" except Normal, Default Paragraph Font,
Headings 1-3, and any other heading styles that have been used. Deleting
user-defined styles actually deletes them; deleting built-in styles resets
them to the default Normal.dot default.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Glad I could help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the