Katy White

Default Turn off document map

The document map for some reason shows up automatically now whenever I open a
word document. How do I disable this feature? It is getting rather annoying
to turn the darn thing off every time I open a document.

Thanks!
Barbara

You should be able to just choose View -- Document Map to turn it off and
then resave the document.

Hope this helps.

Barbie

"Katy White" wrote:

The document map for some reason shows up automatically now whenever I open a
word document. How do I disable this feature? It is getting rather annoying
to turn the darn thing off every time I open a document.

Thanks!

Katy White

Thanks for the reply Barbara,

I did that to the first document this appeared in but unfortunately whenever
I open any word document this map pops up. I have tried turning it off in
normal.dot but that didn't help. Any other suggestions? This is really
annoying.

"Katy White" wrote:

The document map for some reason shows up automatically now whenever I open a
word document. How do I disable this feature? It is getting rather annoying
to turn the darn thing off every time I open a document.

Thanks!

Queenie

Hi Katy,

I am having the same problem--I used document map once, and now every
time I open Word, document map is already on. I have tried turning it
off from the original document it was turned on in, then saving, but
that hasn't worked. I have also tried turning it off in normal.dot and
saving, but that hasn't worked either. It is really annoying.

Have you found a solution? If so, PLEASE share--I would greatly
appreciate it!!

--
QueeniePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Queenie

Thanks, but I've tried that already. I decided to try it again and it
still did not work. Any other suggestions?

--
QueeniePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Robin Marling

I'm having the same problem. Whenever I open any document the Document Map
is enabled. It's making me crazy. And...Barbara, your suggestion does not
work. And where is View - Document Map in Word 2003. Anyway I tried editing
normal.dot - it didn't work. There has to be a way!!!

"Katy White" wrote:

The document map for some reason shows up automatically now whenever I open a
word document. How do I disable this feature? It is getting rather annoying
to turn the darn thing off every time I open a document.

Thanks!

Document Map is on the View menu in every version of Word in which DM exists
(it is probably also on your Standard toolbar). If you're not seeing it on
your View menu, it's probably because you still have adaptive menus enabled.
To change this, go to the Options tab of Tools | Customize and check "Always
show full menus." Alternatively, you should be able to get the full View
menu by clicking on the arrows at the bottom of the menu.

For the rest, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm

"Katy White" wrote:

The document map for some reason shows up automatically now whenever I

open a
word document. How do I disable this feature? It is getting rather

annoying
to turn the darn thing off every time I open a document.

Thanks!

Robin Marling

Thanks Suzanne. I don't know what I was looking at, but when I went back in
"View - Document Map" was there. However, I discovered that by clicking on
"Thumbnails" my "Document Map" window went away. So maybe it was actually
Thumbnails and not Document Map. But it worked as a Document map. Anyway,
it's gone now, and it's also gone from my normal.dot template. Whereas,
when I opened normal.dot before, Document Map was in the left window.

"Katy White" wrote:

The document map for some reason shows up automatically now whenever I

open a
word document. How do I disable this feature? It is getting rather

annoying
to turn the darn thing off every time I open a document.

Thanks!

Thumbnails shows small pictures of the pages; Document Map shows headings in
an outline format.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Document Map is on the View menu in every version of Word in which DM

exists
(it is probably also on your Standard toolbar). If you're not seeing it

on
your View menu, it's probably because you still have adaptive menus

enabled.
To change this, go to the Options tab of Tools | Customize and check

"Always
show full menus." Alternatively, you should be able to get the full View
menu by clicking on the arrows at the bottom of the menu.

For the rest, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Katy White" wrote:

The document map for some reason shows up automatically now whenever

open a
word document. How do I disable this feature? It is getting rather

annoying
to turn the darn thing off every time I open a document.

Thanks!

Daiya Mitchell

Just by the way--MacWord 2004 replaced View | DocMap with a View |
Navigation Pane option, which allows one to choose between Thumbnails and
the Doc Map. I had assumed that was borrowed from WinWord 2003, but maybe
it reflects some sort of parallel coding that MacWord just made more
obvious?

On 7/12/05 9:24 AM, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Thumbnails shows small pictures of the pages; Document Map shows headings in
an outline format.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

That would definitely explain any confusion between Thumbnails and Document
Map. Thanks for the info, Daiya.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
Just by the way--MacWord 2004 replaced View | DocMap with a View |
Navigation Pane option, which allows one to choose between Thumbnails and
the Doc Map. I had assumed that was borrowed from WinWord 2003, but maybe
it reflects some sort of parallel coding that MacWord just made more
obvious?

On 7/12/05 9:24 AM, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Thumbnails shows small pictures of the pages; Document Map shows

headings in
an outline format.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Can you save individual document pages as seperate word files? John Calligy Mailmerge 2 April 12th 05 09:14 AM
How do I turn a 40 page A4 Word 2002 document into an A5 booklet? Lalitavira New Users 3 April 8th 05 04:05 PM
How to turn off auto-formatting of entire document..... damckie Microsoft Word Help 1 December 7th 04 05:25 PM
Document object in protected form Bruce Tables 2 December 6th 04 07:09 PM