Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
janprich janprich is offline

Default Macros missing after upgrade to Office 2007

The IT department at work came in and upgraded my Office to 2007 without me
being there. Now I can't find my macros. There are none located on the
normal.dot template. Do I have to try to recreate them? Or was there
something I should have done to save them before the upgrade (I have a copy
of my word docs on another computer so still have access to the Office 2003
version).

Thanks!
Janice in Louisville
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Normal.dot is not the best place to store macros and your experience is one
of the reasons. A better place to store them is in a template that you save
into the Word\Startup folder.

Do you have a copy of your old normal.dot template somewhere? If so, save
it with a name other than normal.dot into the startup folder which will be
located at

C:\Documents and Settings\[your name]\Application
Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"janprich" wrote in message
The IT department at work came in and upgraded my Office to 2007 without
me
being there. Now I can't find my macros. There are none located on the
normal.dot template. Do I have to try to recreate them? Or was there
something I should have done to save them before the upgrade (I have a
copy
of my word docs on another computer so still have access to the Office
2003
version).

Thanks!
Janice in Louisville

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?amFucHJpY2g=?=,

The IT department at work came in and upgraded my Office to 2007 without me
being there. Now I can't find my macros. There are none located on the
normal.dot template. Do I have to try to recreate them? Or was there
something I should have done to save them before the upgrade (I have a copy
of my word docs on another computer so still have access to the Office 2003
version).

Possibly, Normal.dot got lost during the upgrade. But one generated by Word
2007 should be named Normal.dotm. Do you find more than one Normal.dot (with
or without m) on your machine?

Which version of Windows are you using (and did they upgrad that at the same
time)?

You should be able to copy Normal.dot from the other machine to the
current one, but first we should find out where things stand.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org