Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Megan Morgan Megan Morgan is offline

Default Word 2007 SP1, highlighting disappears

In Word 2007, choose Ctrl+F, type in your search, click Highlight All. This
much works. However, as soon as you continue to type to add more to the
document, all of the highlighting that was just created above disappears.
Also, if you don't type but choose Print to try to print the highlighting,
the highlighting doesn't print. This didn't happen in Word 2003.

Megan Morgan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I think you're confusing two uses of the word "highlight." In Word 2003, as
in Word 2007, using Find All (Highlight All) merely selects the found text.
If you want to apply a highlight, you have to use the Replace function to
find text and apply highlighting through Format | Highlight. The currently
selected highlight color will be used.

If you have actually applied highlighting to the text, it will be printed or
not depending on whether or not it's actually displayed on the page, which
depends on a display option. In Word 2007, this is Office Button | Word
Options | Display: Show highlighter marks.

"Megan Morgan" wrote in message
In Word 2007, choose Ctrl+F, type in your search, click Highlight All.
This much works. However, as soon as you continue to type to add more to
the document, all of the highlighting that was just created above
disappears. Also, if you don't type but choose Print to try to print the
highlighting, the highlighting doesn't print. This didn't happen in Word
2003.

Megan Morgan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Megan Morgan Megan Morgan is offline

The first one was the problem. The Replace fixes it. I suspect the reason it
wasn't printing is because it really wasn't there since Replace wasn't used.

Thanks,
Megan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

That's what I thought, but I couldn't be 100% sure and figured it was worth
including the other information for good measure. Although users have long
referred to text selection as "highlighting," I think it was a bad idea for
Word's designers to yield to this usage given that the term is reserved for
another function in Word.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The "Reading Highlight" command in the Find dialog box is new in Word 2007.
It uses a yellow highlight, or last Highlight color selected, to identify
the found text. Of course it's still a bit confusing since, as noted, it
doesn't print and is removed if you edit the document.

The "Find All" functionality, which selects the text, is still available and
works similar to previous versions. The difference is the scope of the Find
can now be set to Text Boxes, Headers and Footers, and Comments if the
elements are present in the document.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton

What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I don't see the Find All function in the Find dialog in Word 2007, Beth.
Where are you seeing it? Keep in mind that in Word 2003, there is a check
box for "Highlight all items found in" [whatever is selected]. When that box
is checked, the Find Next button changes to Find All.