Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joy

Default How do I unprotect a document when the password is unknown.

Someone in my office password protected a public template that anyone can use
and now I can not change any formatting. How do I override? No one knows
who did it and what the password is.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JRosenfeld

If you have a backup of the template from before it was password protected,
restore to that version.

"Joy" wrote:

Someone in my office password protected a public template that anyone can use
and now I can not change any formatting. How do I override? No one knows
who did it and what the password is.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Do a Google for 'Cracking applications' or similar --- these are
"commercial" apps that ostensibly retrieve document passwords. However, they
don't necessarily work -- it's partly a function of how good a password was
used; and none of the vendors is -- to my cynical eyes, at least -- anyone
I'd trust with my credit card details.

Alternatively, prove the Riemann hypothesis and write your own decryption
algorithm.

"Joy" wrote in message
Someone in my office password protected a public template that anyone can
use
and now I can not change any formatting. How do I override? No one knows
who did it and what the password is.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
xppuser

Let's try these.

If you can open the template, just do copy and paste to a new document, then
save it as a new template. You might still have to do some adjustment but at
least it should be less work than otherwise.

Failing that, the password switch on/off is somewhere in the registry but I
do not know where. You need to decide whether the time spent hunting for this
registry location could not be better spent redoing your template but this
time you protect it instead.

Hope this help,
jes

"Joy" wrote:

Someone in my office password protected a public template that anyone can use
and now I can not change any formatting. How do I override? No one knows
who did it and what the password is.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

xppuser wrote:
Failing that, the password switch on/off is somewhere in the registry
but I do not know where. You need to decide whether the time spent
hunting for this registry location could not be better spent redoing
your template but this time you protect it instead.

Password protection encrypts the document. There is no registry switch that
will fix this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
xppuser

Ok, Joy, sounds like unless you can at least read the template (so that you
can copy and paste to a new document and save as thus) looks like this is one
of those things that one would learn a lesson from for future reference. Good
luck.

Jes