Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
chica_dulce12

Default IPA

I am working on a paper for a class on first and second language acquisition
and I am attempting to use the International Phonetic Alphabet since I must
use these phonetic sounds in my paper. Where can I find them in the Word
program in order to be able to use them?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

All the common phonetic symbols are included in the Unicode set, which you
can find using Insert Symbol. If you need some of the more obscure one
you'll need to download and install a font that contains them. Do a Google
for sources, or ask your supervisor for a copy of theirs.

"chica_dulce12" wrote in message
I am working on a paper for a class on first and second language
acquisition
and I am attempting to use the International Phonetic Alphabet since I
must
use these phonetic sounds in my paper. Where can I find them in the Word
program in order to be able to use them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Don't know if they're still available, but I have this link
http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/Encore-ipa.html. The IPA Extensions
character set is represented in most fonts by a single lowercase schwa at
0259, but "large" Unicode fonts such as Arial Unicode MS contain a range
from 0250 to 02A8.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
All the common phonetic symbols are included in the Unicode set, which you
can find using Insert Symbol. If you need some of the more obscure one
you'll need to download and install a font that contains them. Do a Google
for sources, or ask your supervisor for a copy of theirs.

"chica_dulce12" wrote in message
I am working on a paper for a class on first and second language
acquisition
and I am attempting to use the International Phonetic Alphabet since I
must
use these phonetic sounds in my paper. Where can I find them in the

Word
program in order to be able to use them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

chica_dulce12 wrote:
I am working on a paper for a class on first and second language acquisition
and I am attempting to use the International Phonetic Alphabet since I must
use these phonetic sounds in my paper. Where can I find them in the Word
program in order to be able to use them?

"SIL IPA" used to work for me as a keyword when I went looking for such
fonts a couple of years back. Depending on the version of Office you
have, chances are you already have one of the bigger Unicode fonts
("Lucida Sans Unicode" maybe?) on your system where those characters are
part of.

If you need character codes in Unicode, see
http://www.unicode.org/charts/symbol...honeticSymbols

HTH
Robert
--