Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Martin UK

Default Protecting form fields after save

We use word forms with various fields to send quotations / estimates etc
to customers. If the completed form is sent via email, the recipient can
edit the fields and view options in drop down lists etc.

I need some way to prevent this - I guess it's as easy as making the
document read only and protecting it with a password, but would ideally
like an idiot proof method, to avoid the possibility of users forgetting
to protect the document prior to sending. It would also need an equally
simple method of unprotecting it again, should the document need
amending.

Thanks in advance

--
Martin UK
Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Send it as a pdf rather than as a Word document. I am assuming that you
don't want the recipients amending it. You would still have the original
Word document in case you needed to amend it.

Otherwse, you could set up some macros in the template for your form. This
would not be especially easy and would probably require as much thought as
sending as a pdf. Policy in my office is to not send anything out in Word
format unless we want the recipient to edit it.

What you are talking about is what Word calls an "online form." Check this
in help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Martin UK" wrote in message

We use word forms with various fields to send quotations / estimates etc
to customers. If the completed form is sent via email, the recipient can
edit the fields and view options in drop down lists etc.

I need some way to prevent this - I guess it's as easy as making the
document read only and protecting it with a password, but would ideally
like an idiot proof method, to avoid the possibility of users forgetting
to protect the document prior to sending. It would also need an equally
simple method of unprotecting it again, should the document need
amending.

Thanks in advance

--
Martin UK