Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Keith Keith is offline

Default newbie question- bookmark dialog shows OLE_LINK

I inherited a document with a bunch of bookmarks and within the bookmark
dialog, there is OLE_LINK1 and OLE_LINK2

I deleted all the bookmarks but although I know what OLE is (object linking
and embedding) I'm not sure what these links refer to in this document (the
"goto" button is disabled when selecting either OLE_LINK) so I'm not sure if
it is safe to delete them.

My goal is to clean up the document, then bookmark each "chapter" and turn
this into a template so that I can use VBA to create each new document and
delete the "chapters" (e.g. set bookmark contents to "") that are not
relevant to each new report.

Thanks!
Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

If you copy text (or any content) from a Word document and paste it into,
e.g., PowerPoint or Excel, this may generate an OLE_LINK bookmark that
surrounds the copied text in Word. It is difficult to find out whether these
OLE_LINK bookmarks serve any purpose. Maybe they were meant to be used if
there is a link between the copied and pasted content, however, they often
appear after a €śnormal€ť copy and paste.

I have deleted such OLE_LINK bookmarks in several documents and never
experienced that it has caused any problems (actually, I use a macro to
delete them). However, in situations where you have content linked to other
documents, you may need to be more careful.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg