Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SSchreffler SSchreffler is offline

Default Embedding templates into a Word document?

Is it possible to embed a template into a Word document? (Or at least,
I think that is the way to do it)

On our end, we are writing several documents that are similar in
subject and thus we want to look similar in appearance. But they will
be linked to different places on the web, so they have to be different
files. (My direction is not to use PDFs because it is desired that if
data changes the person we are delivering this to could change the
documents themselves.)

Generally, the way I would do this is using a template, but that
template obviously won't be on all the machines that open the file
(some will even be opening with the Word Viewer)

We are using Word 2003 (11.8106.8107) SP2 to make the documents with.

Is there some way to embed the styles into the document so I can still
create using a template but the person opening the file does not need
the template on their own machine?

Is there another way to reach this same goal?

Thanks!

Sarah Schreffler

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You're worrying about this for no reason. When you create the document, it
inherits a copy of the styles that your template contains. After that, the
document has its own set of styles, independent of the template, which will
travel with it wherever it goes. This is explained much better and at
greater length at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html. Also have a
look at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

SSchreffler wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

The recipients don't need the template unless they have to generate *new*
docs based on it. When you create a doc based on a certain template the
template is "attached" to the doc - IOW the styles travel with the doc. More
important is that the recipients have the same fonts & printer drivers as
those used to set up & create the doc. Otherwise the doc may not flow,
display or print the same on the other system.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"SSchreffler" wrote in message
[...]