Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Maxim Maxim is offline

Default Anchors again

Dear All,

I am unable to get a desired behavior from MS Word. Not sure is it possible
at all

Suppose I am composing a long document. At some point I would like to insert
a picture (fig. 1) and to continue writing. Next, I decided to add some text
above the picture. It might happen that the picture will be moved to the next
page while the noticeable part of the bottom of the current page remains
white. So this behavior makes a lot of white spaces in the document, which is
unacceptable. This is clear especially when we have large pictures.

Certainly, I can anchor the picture to the page, but it means that the
locaton of the image can become obsolete -- if I have composed ten more pages
in the beginning, "fig. 1" should obviously move lower.

What I would like to see in Word is an ability to create "imprecise"
anchors. The picture should move with the text -- so if I have composed ten
pages in the beginning, the picture should move ten pages lower. But if the
image is moved to the next page, no white space remains in the bottom of the
page -- the text from the next page is used to fill it.

As far as I remember, LaTeX has such "floating boxes".

Thanks for the reply!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Maxim Maxim is offline

If you change the wrapping from In Line With Text to, say, Square, you can
anchor it to a specific paragraph and tell it to "Move with text."

yes, thanks, but there are other problems in this solution:
1) if I anchor to the paragraph and set "move with text", the picture can
overlap with the lower margin of the page;
2) if I align it to the specific part of the page (say, "to upper margin"),
all my images will be located in the very start of each page, which is not
nice-looking...