Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
veryveryfrustratedwithfootnotes veryveryfrustratedwithfootnotes is offline

Default footnote numbering in different sections

Hi all,

I have a problem numbering the footnotes in various sections of my document;
in some sections I need to start from 1 (got that) but in others I have to
continue from the last number of the previous section - and here's the
problem - it either seems to start from one or counting from the very first
footnote. Here's an example

Section one
Chapter 1.
Footnote 1
Footnote 2

Section 2
Chapter 2.
Footnote 1
Footnote 2

Section 3
Chapter 2.1.
the footnote number should now continue with 3 (continuing from section
2/chapter 2.) but instead I either get 1 (restart after each section) or 5
(counting from the very first footnote in chapter 1)

I tried to set the "start at number" button on 3 but it doesn't work
somehow. I also need to define different sections because the different
chapters and sub-chapters have different headers.

Thank you all for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

It's a bit tedious if you've got a lot of them, but you could just enter the
footnote numbers manually, using the numbers as the 'custom mark'.

soft.com wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
veryveryfrustratedwithfootnotes veryveryfrustratedwithfootnotes is offline

Hi thanks for the advice. Been thinking about that but two thousand footnotes
make me think that there is hopefully a different solution

soft.com wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

If you have a document with 2000 footnotes, (and you're not Nabokov, coz
he's dead) then you probably ought to be shot anyway.

"Jezebel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi frustrated--

Sorry for my slow response here--a couple of notes:

1) what you ask to do was only promised as a feature in either Word 2002
or Word 2003, but definitely has not worked reliably in at least one of
those, and before that was not available at all. I have a vague feeling
that it was promised in Word 2002 but broken, and maybe fixed in Word
2003, but I'm not sure. So this will depend on what version you have.
HOWEVER, set that aside for the moment, and let's tackle the real issue:

I also need to define different sections because the different
chapters and sub-chapters have different headers.

I suspect that you don't need as many sections as you think you need.
You can probably set a StyleRef field to pick up the changing headings
without needing section breaks to change them. See the tips at this
link, though you may need to read some of the intro material it suggests
as well:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/wordfaqs/StyleRef.htm

I suggest that you work on minimizing the section breaks, and that will
prevent a lot of the note renumbering problems. If you want notes to
restart numbering in each chapter, then you need a section break to
start each chapter. If you switch from portrait layout to a landscape
table or something, then that requires section breaks. Most other uses
of section breaks can be worked around.

Daiya

PS. I've got a 374 page dissertation with 1600 footnotes, and I'm an
insane over-footnoter. 2000 is a bit much, though Jezebel would put me
before the firing squad as well, I'm sure.