Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wally Wombat Wally Wombat is offline

Default continuous hidden dotted lines across page

Hi
I am trying to write on a pasted document from the net. On some pages, the
cursor is prohibited from being placed in areas. I am writing in Print view,
and when I change to normal view, and press "show all characters" there are
continuous dotted lines across the document. These do not behave like line
page breaks as they cannot be deleted.
I have some luck with clearing the formatting, but there still remains one
stubborn line that I cannot remove.
Any suggestions?
--
Eats, roots and leaves.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

What you are describing sounds like a column or section break (if it
isn't a page break). Placing the insertion point to the left of it and
pressing Delete should remove it. But see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

For a description of all nonprinting characters, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Wally Wombat" wrote in message
Hi
I am trying to write on a pasted document from the net. On some

pages, the
cursor is prohibited from being placed in areas. I am writing in

Print view,
and when I change to normal view, and press "show all characters"

there are
continuous dotted lines across the document. These do not behave

like line
page breaks as they cannot be deleted.
I have some luck with clearing the formatting, but there still

remains one
stubborn line that I cannot remove.
Any suggestions?
--
Eats, roots and leaves.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

They are probably soft (automatic) page breaks. If pages are breaking
unaccountably, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BlankPage.htm.
Otherwise, the page break indication is for your convenience only, nothing
to worry about.

"Wally Wombat" wrote in message
Hi
I am trying to write on a pasted document from the net. On some pages, the
cursor is prohibited from being placed in areas. I am writing in Print

view,
and when I change to normal view, and press "show all characters" there

are
continuous dotted lines across the document. These do not behave like line
page breaks as they cannot be deleted.
I have some luck with clearing the formatting, but there still remains one
stubborn line that I cannot remove.
Any suggestions?
--
Eats, roots and leaves.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wally Wombat Wally Wombat is offline

Thanks for the help
The cursor doesn't change when dragged across these lines, nor is there any
mention in the paragraph or column setups.
They seem to be associated with the page setup, if I change the page length
the lines appear in different places. Therefore I can only assume that
pasting from one doc to another, imported these breaks sometimes with no
content between two lines, hence the series of three dotted lines, and the
empty pages between them.
Again Many thanks
--
Eats, roots and leaves.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Do the lines correspond to the ends of the pages in Print Layout view? If
so, they are the automatic page breaks, as I said. Naturally, changing the
page size or margins would affect where the page breaks. If you have empty
pages, I refer you again to http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BlankPage.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

They are probably soft (automatic) page breaks. If pages are breaking
unaccountably, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BlankPage.htm.
Otherwise, the page break indication is for your convenience only,

nothing
to worry about.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.