Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jackie D Jackie D is offline

Default help with changing formatting

Hi

I'm using Word 2003 and I am using 6x4" index cards. I have about 20 cards
in one document with a short piece of text on each card. I had the vertical
alignment set to 'centre' so that each time I inserted a new page break, or
repeatedly pressed the return key to get to the next page, the text would
always be dead centre.

But then I changed the vertical alignment to 'top'. But when I hit the space
bar at the beginning of the first line of text on the first index card (in
order to take it down a bit from the header) the text shot on to the next
index card. When I tried to backspace the text to get it on to the first
index card again, it wouldn't move. I can't figure out what is going on. Can
anyone help?

--
Jackie D
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You should NOT repeatedly press the return key to get to the next page.

You should base your document on the Avery 8389 - Postcard that you can
access via ToolsLetters and MailingsEnvelopes and Labels, then click on
the Options button and select that label from the list, then click on the
New Document button. That will give you a page. By default, the text that
is entered into such a label is centered vertically.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jackie D" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jackie D Jackie D is offline

Hi Doug

Thanks for that advice. I had searched for a template but I couldn't find
the 6x4". Now I know what it's called.

By the way, why is the page size listed as letter? And yet the postcard size
is 6x4"?

--
Jackie D

"Jackie D" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jackie D Jackie D is offline

Hello Doug

I've just had a play around with the Avery template. It isn't quite what I
was expecting because I am printing on 6.4" index cards and not on A4 paper.
So having the Letter size doesn't help at all. I'm going to have to stick
with my own templates and solve the page alignment problem.

So, going back to your original reply, I should never use the space bar to
move on to the next page. I get that. But if I have the vertical alignment
set to 'central' why does the text sometimes appear at the top of the index
card and not centred? And is there a way to fix it.
--
Jackie D

"Jackie D" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Because 8389 puts two such cards on a single page.
If you are using individual cards, I think I would just set the page size to
6 x 4 (which is a standard page size) - and which is probably what you had
originally? However it is not a good plan to use the enter key to move to
the next page, it makes formatting a nightmare.
I might even put the texts in a table
(http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm ) and mailmerge
them into a blank document of the required size and layout .

"Jackie D" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Do you have empty paragraphs (caused by your repeateldy pressing the Enter
key) after the text?

If you click on the Show/Hide button (¶) they will appear as a series of ¶'s