Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hullaballoo hullaballoo is offline

Default How do I set the default font size for footnotes?

Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tab L. Uno Tab L. Uno is offline

How does one get into the Footnote Text style? I tried. And can't find it.
I have to resize each footnote manually.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Down at the bottom of Styles & Formatting, click "More" and you'll
find Custom, Show All Styles, Styles in Use, etc. When you look in
each of those, you'll find lists with checkboxes, and Footnote Text
will be somewhere among them.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 2003, All Styles still doesn't list such styles. You have to choose
Custom, which opens the Format Settings dialog, from which you can click
Styles... and get a complete list. To apply a given style, you can press
Shift to force the Style dropdown to display all styles, but this is not
much help for modifying. Which is why I have a button on my toolbar to take
me straight to the old Format | Style dialog!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can
anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
How do I set the footnote font size  How do I set the footnote font size is offline

In Word 2007 I only see Styles, not Styles & Formatting, and there was no
More at the end of the drop down lists. Both Footer and Footer Char were
listed, and in their respective drop downs I was able (I thought) to change
each these fonts. However, this change did not take effect in my document.
Please help!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Firstly, Word 2007's controls are so different from those of earlier versions
that you _must_ mention you're using 2007 in any question you post.

Second, "Footer" is _not_ the same as "Footnote". The styles you changed have
nothing to do with footnotes, which is why you didn't see any effect.

On the Home ribbon, in the Styles group, there is a small square button in the
bottom right corner below the Change Styles button. Click that button, or press
its shortcut combination Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S, to open the Styles task pane.

If you don't see "Footnote Text" in the list of styles, click the Options link
in the bottom right corner of the pane, and in the options dialog change the
"Select styles to show" dropdown from "Recommended" to "All styles". You may
also want to change the sort order from "As recommended" to "Alphabetical".

Now right-click the name of the Footnote Text style (not Footer!) and choose
Modify.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ounbbl Ounbbl is offline

It's not clear how I can change font for ALL the footnote reference number in
one swoop. Please. Also if you can, tell me how I get rid of all the
footnotes from the document in ones swoop. Thanks.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

To change the font of all footnote reference numbers, follow exactly the same
directions as in my post below, except work on the style named Footnote
Reference instead of Footnote Text.

Deleting all the footnotes in a document in one step takes a macro. See
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm for instructions on how to insert
this macro into your template:

Sub RemoveAllFootnotes()
Dim fn As Footnote
For Each fn In ActiveDocument.Footnotes
fn.Delete
Next
End Sub

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all
may benefit.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Why can't you just Find All footnote references, and Replace them with
nothing?

Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Why not? Because I didn't think of it... Thanks for that.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ounbbl Ounbbl is offline

Thanks for macro.

Regarding Changing fonts for foot note reference: Are you sure you are not
mistaken by saying 'foot note text'?

I have foot note reference (the one showing within the document text) in
Arial, 11 points, superscript, red and blue. So I picked 'footnote
reference' and right click. Click on modify to change to other color (green)'
and checked 'only this document' and then o.k.

Then - nothing changes. What should I do next?

Thanks for your help.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ounbbl Ounbbl is offline

Addendum he it did work (with 'footnote reference', not 'footnote text').
It took time for the file shows up the change I made. I don't know I had to
close the file and open again, but somehow later it did show up the change.

However, my question should be more specific: I just want change the
FootNote Reference stuff WITHIN the main document, not on the bottom in the
foot note area.

Thanks again.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In that case, you're in for some hand work, since the Footnote Reference
style governs all references. By default, it is defined as Default Paragraph
Font + Superscript, which means that it just superscripts whatever font and
font size are being used at the insertion point, which are usually defined
by the style in the given paragraph (in the footnotes, this is the Footnote
Text style).

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail
yourself of my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote
in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for
footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Instead of performing the operation on the entire file, Select All
the text (Ctrl-A); this should leave the footnotes unselected. Proceed
as before and answer No if it asks to do it in the rest of the
document.

After it's been done to the footnotes, I _think_ you can undo it by
Selecting All the footnotes (put the cursor in any footnote, Ctrl-A)
and apply Footnote Text to what's selected.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Self Bill Self is offline

Jay,

If you're still around... I do not get an "options link" in the bottom right
hand of the Styles windows that shows in Word 2007 when I click on the button
in the styles box. All I get is a list of the preset styles [Normal, No
Spacing, Heading 1, etc.]. I've looked everywhere I can and cannot find
anywhere that I can set the font for footnotes. I can't find "footnote text"
or "footnote reference" anywhere. Can you help an old man down in Macon, GA?

Bill Self

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The styles list you mention is in a white box in the Styles pane. Below that
is a blue area with check boxes for "Show Preview" and "Disable Linked
Styles" and three cryptic buttons on the left. On the right is the link that
says "Options..."

http://word.mvps.org

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in
message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes.
Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Bill,

Did you do this?...
On the Home ribbon, in the Styles group, there is a small square button in the
bottom right corner below the Change Styles button. Click that button, or press
its shortcut combination Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S, to open the Styles task pane.

The Styles pane should appear all the way down the right side of the
Word window, not in the ribbon across the top. At the bottom of that
pane, there should be three square buttons and a blue
hyperlink-looking thing that says "Options...". If you don't see all
that, there's something wrong with your Word installation.
--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gareth_S Gareth_S is offline

Excellent! Thank you very much. For ages, I've been trying to figure out how
to do that. Thanks again. A great help.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the font in the Footnote Text style.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hullaballoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having trouble setting the default font size for footnotes. Can anyone
help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
hullaballoo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
legalanagel12 legalanagel12 is offline

I followed your instructions and was able to format my footnote just the way
I wanted. Thank you for your time in answering these posts.
K.