Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tonne Tonne is offline

Default Mail merge: reopening saved document prompts for SQL command twice

I am trying to merge a csv file:
Name;Address;Zipcode;City
My name;Where I live;DK-0000;Nearby
With a template containg bookmarks for Name, Address, ...

Everything works except for the two prompts for executing SQL commands when
the document is reopened. First a prompt for the real csv file and then a
prompt for a temporary csv file.
If I accept both the merge is repeatable.
If i print the query from VBA (ctrl-G print
activedocument.mailmerge.datasource.querystring) the result is a query on the
temporary file.

Here is the code (using 'generic' COM classes for everything):
COMappl = new COM(Word.Application);
COMdocuments = COMappl.documents();
COMdocument = COMdocuments.open(template); // variable holding
the template file
COMdocument.saveas(filename); // variable holding the saved doc
COMappl.visible(true);

COMmailmerge = COMdocument.mailmerge();
COMmailmerge.OpenDataSource(fileNameData,0,0,0,1); // variable
holding the datafile (csv)
COMmailmergefields = COMmailmerge.fields();

COMbookmarks = COMdocument.bookmarks();
COMbookmark = coMbookmarks.item('Name');
COMrange = coMbookmark.range();
COMmailmergefields.Add(COMrange,'Name'); // insert just one merge
field

COMmailmerge.Execute();
COMappl.Activate();

COMdocument.save();

Any ideas?
--
Tonne

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Before doing anything, have you applied the registry change in the
following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825765

Also, which version of word are you using?

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv

Tonne wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tonne Tonne is offline

Default Mail merge: reopening saved document prompts for SQL command t

Yes. I should have mentioned that, sorry.
Adding the registry key will solve the symptoms; I just wondered if I did
something wrong.

This morning I did a manual mail merge, saved the main document after the
merge and the exact same prompt for SQL statement twice when reopening!
A flaw in Office 2007, perhaps?

I can live with the registry fix as I can apply it from my program before
doing the mail merge.

--
Henrik Tonnesen
attentive as

Tonne wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I just wondered if I did something wrong.

I don't think so.

A flaw in Office 2007, perhaps?

Word 2007 copies some types of data source to a local folder. It's part
of some security change. Unfortunately it is very difficult to tell in
what circumstance Word will do this, but I think it is in essence when
Word thinks it is opening a "field type" data source and it thinks it is
on the Internet. So Word then has to deal with the fact that you specify
one file name and it ends up dealing with another.

FWIW I take the view that things that do not work for inexplicable
reasons are actually less secure than things that work the way you asked
them to, but there you go.