Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Default Change One word automatically in multiple locations

How do I make word automatically change a word in a document once it changed
in one location? Example I have a master document that some times I say City
or it may say county in the first half of the document. I would like it to
automatically update the other locations to read the same way on I have made
this change. I hope I explained properly.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
vttotal vttotal is offline

Hi, I believe that you cannot do that as there are different physical
locations for that document(or copies in another way). I am not aware if you
are in a server or a shared location with other computers but what you may do
for future references you can create one master document only and make users
share it; that way you can edit and change filenames for everybody else.

Let me know if you have any more questions,
--
Vicente Tulliano

"Chris" wrote:

How do I make word automatically change a word in a document once it changed
in one location? Example I have a master document that some times I say City
or it may say county in the first half of the document. I would like it to
automatically update the other locations to read the same way on I have made
this change. I hope I explained properly.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave E[_2_] Dave E[_2_] is offline

Select the first instance of the text and then create a Bookmark (from the
Insert tab). Name the bookmark something you can easily remember (like
"City").

Then everyplace else where you want that city name to appear, insert a link
to that bookmark. Press Ctrl-F9 to create a field code, and then type "REF
City" (or whatever name you used for your bookmark). The result should look
like { REF City }. With the cursor still in the field code, press F9 and the
code should update with the text from your bookmark.

Be careful when you change the text in your bookmark, because it's easy to
delete the open and close brackets on the bookmark.

If your bookmark is a city name like [New York] and you want to change it to
[Miami], then put your cursor right after the "N" in New York, backspace
once, type "Miami", and then use the delete key to delete "ew York". If you
do it any other way you'll break your bookmark and wreck the rest of your
links.