babsanderson

Default document loses format when emailed to others

My boss wants me to do a document (it looks like a form and would be printed
and then info handwritten on it) and groupwise it to others, so they can open
it on their computer and just print it. On my computer it looks fine and
prints okay. When I send it to others the formating and placement of items (I
used columns, Lines, symbols, tables, ect.)is all missed up. How can I fix
this?

Just got office 2003, the changes are just enough to drive me nuts.

Neil Howie

To save as a pdf, download and install Open Office for free
(www.openoffice.org), load your Word document, then choose Save As...
and select the pdf file type.

Open Office can be set up to work transparently with Microsoft products,
though there are probably lesser used aspects of MS Office it can't cope
with.

--
Neil

Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to dot)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
| See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm. If the form
is to
| be filled out by hand, it would be much more satisfactory to send it
as a
| PDF.
|
| --
| Suzanne S. Barnhill
| Microsoft MVP (Word)
| Words into Type
| Fairhope, Alabama USA
| Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
| Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup so
| all may benefit.
|
| "babsanderson" wrote in
message
| My boss wants me to do a document (it looks like a form and would be
| printed
| and then info handwritten on it) and groupwise it to others, so they
can
| open
| it on their computer and just print it. On my computer it looks fine
and
| prints okay. When I send it to others the formating and placement of
items
| (I
| used columns, Lines, symbols, tables, ect.)is all missed up. How can
I fix
| this?
|
| Just got office 2003, the changes are just enough to drive me nuts.

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

You can use PrimoPDF, which is also a free download. But if a font cannot be
embedded, you're going to lose the font anyway.

The only way you can be relatively sure that it will look the same is to
make sure you use the more common fonts.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Neil Howie" wrote in message
To save as a pdf, download and install Open Office for free
(www.openoffice.org), load your Word document, then choose Save As...
and select the pdf file type.

Open Office can be set up to work transparently with Microsoft products,
though there are probably lesser used aspects of MS Office it can't cope
with.

--
Neil

Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to dot)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
| See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm. If the form
is to
| be filled out by hand, it would be much more satisfactory to send it
as a
| PDF.
|
| --
| Suzanne S. Barnhill
| Microsoft MVP (Word)
| Words into Type
| Fairhope, Alabama USA
| Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
| Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup so
| all may benefit.
|
| "babsanderson" wrote in
message
| My boss wants me to do a document (it looks like a form and would be
| printed
| and then info handwritten on it) and groupwise it to others, so they
can
| open
| it on their computer and just print it. On my computer it looks fine
and
| prints okay. When I send it to others the formating and placement of
items
| (I
| used columns, Lines, symbols, tables, ect.)is all missed up. How can
I fix
| this?
|
| Just got office 2003, the changes are just enough to drive me nuts.

Stan Brown

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote in microsoft.public.word.newusers:
You can use PrimoPDF, which is also a free download. But if a font cannot be
embedded, you're going to lose the font anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion, though I wasn't the original questioner.

http://www.primopdf.com/ looks interesting.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

It's a great program. I belong to a non-profit organization and I
recommended it to the other newsletter editors in our region, and in a
newsgroup I participate in that consists of guild editors. I'm fortunate in
that the guild bought Acrobat Pro for me to use for the region but the
individual chapters can't afford that. Free is a great price!

I now get several chapter newsletters via e-mail thanks to Primo. And I've
passed the word along to others who create newsletters on a volunteer basis.
:-)
--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]