Muchun Yin

Default Renumbering endnotes in master document

I am putting the several chapters of my dissertation into a master document,
but I am having a problem with the endnotes. I want to put each chapter's
endnotes at the end of the chapter and restart numbering. The problem is that
I have several sections in each chapter; I've figured out how to suppress the
endnotes until the last section in each chapter, but I've only figured out
two options I have with Master Document: either a) have the numbering be
continuous from the first to last chapter, or b) have several 1s, 2s, etc. in
a chapter's endnotes because each section in the chapter is restarting its
numbering. (Hope that description makes sense!)

How can I make the endnotes for each chapter appear at the end of that
chapter and continuously number that chapters' endnotes starting from 1?

Thanks for any help!
Daiya Mitchell

I don't think you can do this. You cannot restart endnotes at a certain
number by section, only by document. It would make a ton of sense if the
Master Document "feature" recognized a subdocument as a different type of
section and automatically worked around this problem, but apparently not.

However, you should beware of Master Documents anyhow:

Why Master Documents corrupt:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm

How to recover a Master Document:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm

Steve Hudson [Word Heretic] on how to make Master Documents work safely:
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...dhomepage.html

This may be the only option for you, to leave them in separate files:

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/