DJEB

Default tc field codes, hidden text, takes up space even when hidden

I am using tc codes to generate a table of contents.

I have many tc entries in my files.

The tc entries do disappear when the hidden/show is toggled, however, while
the text disappears it still takes up space in both the regular display and a
print preview display. This blank space is printed when I print the
document. This is seriously throwing my pagination off.

If I mark the tc codes as hidden text from the font meny then the do
completely disappear and do not take up space in the document. However, they
then no longer are recognized as tc codes when I try to generate a table of
contents.

Help, this is so frustrating !!!!!!!

Thank you for your time.
DJEB

I am using Word 2002 and Windows XP Home.

I generated these codes a long time ago. These documents began 13 years
ago. It's a family cookbook.

I tried generating some new TC codes using the insert fields option to see
if they operated any differently but they also took up space when hidden.

I am having the same difficulty with my index code entries.

Thank you to anyone who responds.

DJEB

Murphy got me. Once I'd asked here I figured it out. I thought I'd explain
it in case someone else has the same problem, since I already posted the
question.

The TC entries were hidden text format but the paragraph marker at the end
of the line that I was using to separate the markers for easy maintanance was
not. It was the paragraph marker that was taking up space. I made the
paragraph marker hidden text format using the font menu and my problem went
away !!! "YEAH !!

I got the idea from a comment I read that said that if you have your page
breaks as hidden text format they will not be read when Word goes to make the
table of contents and your pagination will be off. From that I figured out
that I could make my paragraph markers hidden.

That's all folks...........

Stefan Blom

I'm glad that you found a solution. Note, however, that keeping a TC
field in a separate paragraph from that of the heading text might
cause trouble: the field and the text might end up on different pages.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news